Mavericks: Got rid of the skeumorphics? Consistency would be nice.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, so the leather and the wood and the linen background and the ripped paper is gone and we now live in the Brave New World of Ive'ism. Simple lines, pastel shades and bland are Big. In time, doubtless all of Apple's apps - from Pages to Garageband to Final Cut - will be similarly Ive'd.
But Mavericks has come to us with it's own built-in apps - and for work from an internationally respected industrial designer and a company that has long associated itself with graphic art and publishing, its lacking both clarity (quickly now, find today's date in the Month view Calendar, especially on a busy month) and, more importantly, consistency and continuity with a hodge-podge of designs.

Consider: open four of the most basic apps - the aforementioned Calendar (faint lines separate weeks, not days; active week highlighted by pastel strip; weekends faintly grey; active day a slightly brighter pastel); Contacts (two columns separated by a scrollbar - the Contact list (in Bold) to the left, the active Contact to the right, entire window same colour throughout; Notes (a mix of old and new and, actually, quite clear - the list of notes in a column to the left, the active note in the right pane on a sepia background); Reminders - possibly the App That Ive Forgot - textured dark gray surrounding three windows in two columns, a mixture of window colours (greys in various shades and cranberry highlighting, a white, lined page - so much for stripping skeumorphics) to the left, its list of reminders in a fainter shade of font than Notes or Contacts.

Continuity and Consistency - the Menu Bar remains the 'traditional' light grey, the reflecting 'shelf' (or background if positioned to the side) of the Dock another shade, while the Notification panel has eschewed linen in favour of yet another shade of grey. This is an improvement?

Its sloppy - or 'too busy' as a designer I know would say. Clarity of intent is missing. Information that should be considered important isn't afforded predominance, there's too many fonts doing the same thing in different apps, there's too many visual aspects each with its own look, for no apparent reason. If it was advertising copy - a poster - for the product, it would be nightmare and customers would look elsewhere.

Good industrial design is about making a product that is simple to use and navigate and is clear in its intent - not simply to strip out what you don't like in favour of your own vision. That's not good design, that's fast fashion. Ask Microsoft how that's gone for them so far with Win8. Or many car manufacturers with their central controls panels.

Ive'ism is with us for awhile, it would seem. Maybe it will improve - lessons learned, etc. Let's hope someone at Apple has the chutzpah to say to him its just not yet good enough.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the dramatic write up here...you're acting as if OSX changed like iOS did, but it didn't. Not even close. Some of the surfaces of tried and true apps have been changed, but the entire OS still feels about the same, but with optimized functionality and added features.

You asked to check out calendar, saying it was hard to distinguish the current date amongst a crowded schedule...but it's not, not even slightly hard...it's a red colored header over the current date, plain as day, and obvious. If that was hard for your to pick out, even amongst a lot of reminders, schedules and notes, I don't know what to tell you.

I appreciate you having your own opinion on it, but I just don't agree...the OS doesn't feel different enough to warrant an all out tirade about it becoming "Ive'ed" as you called it. His footprint on OSX is so minimal in comparison to iOS that it's hardly worth mentioning really.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the dramatic write up here...you're acting as if OSX changed like iOS did, but it didn't. Not even close. Some of the surfaces of tried and true apps have been changed, but the entire OS still feels about the same, but with optimized functionality and added features.

You asked to check out calendar, saying it was hard to distinguish the current date amongst a crowded schedule...but it's not, not even slightly hard...it's a red colored header over the current date, plain as day, and obvious. If that was hard for your to pick out, even amongst a lot of reminders, schedules and notes, I don't know what to tell you.

I appreciate you having your own opinion on it, but I just don't agree...the OS doesn't feel different enough to warrant an all out tirade about it becoming "Ive'ed" as you called it. His footprint on OSX is so minimal in comparison to iOS that it's hardly worth mentioning really.

I agree with Sean. If anything the minor change are better but not drastic change yet. Next year, when they fully revamp the OSX is when this post is more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I'll agree, there's tweaks going on behind the scenes with the OS and admit that it's a transitional rather than transformative OS - but why, if you just spent the time and energy to madly tweak the appearance and operation of mobile OS under the 'vision' of Ive (for good or bad) do you then fail to do the same for your computer OS released mere weeks later - especially when much of your hype is about the whole Apple environment and its cross-communication with each product?

Sure, I could wait for the next OS to whinge - but hey, nothing but the competition pushed Apple to produce this OS now. They could/should have spent time, if not making cross-device apps look / behave similarly, at least had the built-in apps in the OS all look similar in Ive's vision. However good the behind-the scenes changes might be, it's GUI for its apps are sloppy and unfinished. Now granted, I certainly don't want a wholesale Microsoft Metro-style remake, but yes, consistency and continuity with what we've got.

Nothing dramatic in the posting or the writing here - but maybe my whole post should have been, "So that's Mavericks, huh? Pity", though I suspect the blowback on that would have been even more dramatic. ;-)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's my issue people keep saying they are designers and this is horrible. I have been using Mavericks throughout the betas and I like the changes. The problem is that sure the design might be crappy from a designer's standpoint however there is a way larger percentage of regular people using it than designers. I agree when I open Calendar it takes me awhile to look for the current day. I do find that annoying but it is so inconsequential to my day that it doesn't even matter. I look at the things a new OS is supposed to do which is make my day faster, easier or more efficient. So when I sit with my iPhone in my pocket and get an iMessage and I can answer it without pulling my phone out of my pocket. These are the things I look for in an OS. I look for things like when I have answered a message that the message goes away on my iPhone instead of the notification still sitting on the screen. I'm not looking at it from a designer's standpoint so perhaps my views and what I have written mean nothing.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2