iCloud Keychain vs 1Password

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I did a quick search and didn't find a threat specifically for this subject.

So Mavericks is here and with it iCloud keychain that offers pretty much the same features as 1Password. I'm fairly new at the latter and even though it is pricey to get them all, I haven't had a problem with it and find it really useful and secure. I'd like to know if any of you are making the switch and the reasons for it, do you think keychain matches 1password functionality? yes? no? don't care? :p Let me know.

This would make a good poll I think. I'm not sure how to do it here, any help would be much appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I updated my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini to iOS 7, and my MacBook to OS X Mavericks, I was prompted with a decision to allow the iCloud keychain to be enabled to remember my credit card and other personal stuff, I immediately denied it. I may change my mind months from now, but in the meantime, DataVault satisfies my needs in that regard. I can back up to iCloud, Dropbox and locally with it so there is no need for me to change to something else right now.

Yodes

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
What I've found is that iCloud Keychain and my password manager (Dashlane) are working fine together. I enabled keychain and every time Dashlane logs me in to a site iCloud offers to save the password as well. This has been great because I can still use Dashlane but am now able to have auto login on my phones default browser.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I enabled it but don't save passwords/logins to Chrome (or Safari). I use Lastpass for that stuff.

I believe iCloud keychain is what saves wifi passwords, right?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I think I'll continue to use 1Password. iCloud Keychain is a nice addition for those who never used 1Password but for those who did, I think it came a little too late.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going to keep with 1Pass as well. I allowed the option and then turned it off when I got through the update.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
iCloud Keychain like everything Apple is very behind the scenes. I like to have control and grab my passwords and control them. I have been using 1Password for 2 years now so it is all setup with all my pwords. So I continue to use it with Keychain enabled. I've even added a few credit cards only because I trust Apple. I like the way it works filling in the cc info when needed. So using both is great for me.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I enabled it but don't save passwords/logins to Chrome (or Safari). I use Lastpass for that stuff.

I believe iCloud keychain is what saves wifi passwords, right?

iCloud Keychain is the new Apple system than saves all your sensitive information like passwords, credit cards and so on.
It pretty much is suppose to work like any other password saving app.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
When I updated my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini to iOS 7, and my MacBook to OS X Mavericks, I was prompted with a decision to allow the iCloud keychain to be enabled to remember my credit card and other personal stuff, I immediately denied it. I may change my mind months from now, but in the meantime, DataVault satisfies my needs in that regard. I can back up to iCloud, Dropbox and locally with it so there is no need for me to change to something else right now.

I wasn't familiar with DataVault but thanks for sharing, I checked it out for future reference :).

Franklin Seal

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my macbook pro to Mavericks yesterday and my iphone to iOS 7.03 today which included iCloud Keychain. I have been using 1P since it first came out and have hundreds of logins, software licenses, secure notes, etc in the 1P on my mac and phone, which sync and I love it. Last year I also began using it on the three different Windows boxes I use at my three different jobs. I use Chrome on the mac and on the Windows machines as my main browser, but have to do tests in other browsers often. 1P works across the three operating systems and in all the browsers. And it allows me to store all the other forms of sensitive info besides my credit cards and logins. Even though I've enabled iCloud Keychain on the mac and phone, I doubt I'll use it because it wouldn't fulfill all the functions that 1P does, and besides, it requires setting up a screen passcode on the phone which I find annoying. I never used one before and because I swipe open the phone 50 times a day, having to type the passcode is a big bother. That's probably a deal breaker for me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2