Mavericks Preview 5 feedback

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Surprised there was no feedback thread a day later. So far I have not noticed one single issue. iBooks is now included and it seems more stable than the most recent official build of Mountain Lion. Also battery life is superior.

What are your findings?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Its running awesome so far. B4 was a nightmare for me. My file permissions would randomly screw up, making it so i couldn't install updates, etc. Repairing them fixed it temporarily, but it would go all whacky a few days later. Terminal also wouldn't run, making it hell to troubleshoot.

It took forever to install b5 because it kept saying i didn't have permission. It finally randomly started downloading a 4.5GB b5 update, installed it, rebooted, downloaded and installed a smaller 1.5GB b5 update, rebooted and all is good.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
DP 5 is good I'm so glad there is finally iBooks so I gotta start testing that out. They finally fixed the PShop issue when saving files but some of my other bugs are still not fixed. I found starting with DP 4 the graphics started getting sharper and sharper. DP 5 continued that tradition when I first logged in my background almost smacked me in the face it looked so good. I still don't like the taskbar covering windows on a dual monitor setup but apparently that is the way it is meant to be. I run RDC on my second monitor connected to my Windows computer and it's a pain because I can't maximize anything or I can't minimize or close afterwards. I still wish they would put something on the login screen it looks so bland now with the solid grey background. It would be nice if they just mirrored whatever background was being used to the login screen or at the very least use the Mavericks wave image.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Its running awesome so far. B4 was a nightmare for me. My file permissions would randomly screw up, making it so i couldn't install updates, etc. Repairing them fixed it temporarily, but it would go all whacky a few days later. Terminal also wouldn't run, making it hell to troubleshoot.

It took forever to install b5 because it kept saying i didn't have permission. It finally randomly started downloading a 4.5GB b5 update, installed it, rebooted, downloaded and installed a smaller 1.5GB b5 update, rebooted and all is good.

Beta 4 was solid for me. It was beta 3 that was the nightmare for me. I was victim of that builds famous wifi bug.

CrucialTK

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I've had so far since the upgrade is how iTunes handles syncing iPhones. I dropped my iPhone from it's beta down to 6.1.4 and iTunes is still having sync connection issues despite the software change for the phone. All cabling is consistent, and with the swapping between OS versions, I've ruled out the iOS beta as distinctly having this issue.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Beta 4 was solid for me. It was beta 3 that was the nightmare for me. I was victim of that builds famous wifi bug.

Agreed. The wifi bug was horribly annoying... So far DP5 is solid. I am having one issue - some of my Mail filter/rules don’t seem to be being applied consistently... otherwise, no problems... still playing with iBooks.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The only problem I've had so far since the upgrade is how iTunes handles syncing iPhones. I dropped my iPhone from it's beta down to 6.1.4 and iTunes is still having sync connection issues despite the software change for the phone. All cabling is consistent, and with the swapping between OS versions, I've ruled out the iOS beta as distinctly having this issue.

I had an issue with DP 3 where my iTunes could only see my iPhone through Wifi. Now it sees it properly on beta 5 with DP 5 but when I start a sync it says the connection is lost. I'm plugged in to the cable so how could that happen? This has got to be the most annoying bug of both iOS and OS X that I have had through all the betas. I'm hoping they fix it in the next beta/DP release.

CrucialTK

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I tried a WiFi sync, but my issue is also slightly more deeper. If it is able to "maintain" the connection, it indicates that all data on the phone (music, apps, videos, photos) are in the "other" category. Very frustrating. Heading out of town this weekend and hoping they release a Mavericks update before then.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Same here. I tried a WiFi sync, but my issue is also slightly more deeper. If it is able to "maintain" the connection, it indicates that all data on the phone (music, apps, videos, photos) are in the "other" category. Very frustrating. Heading out of town this weekend and hoping they release a Mavericks update before then.

Yeah I have the "other"issue too it usually corrects itself once the sync starts. However the sync never completes so that is kinda crappy. Yeah I don't think there will be another update for another week since beta 5 and DP 5 just dropped a little while ago. The new iTunes came with the iOS beta so I think most likely the iOS beta will be what fixes the issue.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I decided to try and reload beta 5 on my iPhone to see if it would resolve the issue. Before I reloaded beta 5 I reinstalled the iTunes beta that came with beta 5. I didn't want to lose connection halfway thorugh the reload of beta 5. Now after the reinstall of iTunes though it sees my phone memory correctly and I can sync again. So give that a try, after the installation you will get errors about a couple of extensions that can't be installed but I think that is because they already exist. I may do a permissions repair on my drive. GL

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No reason to create a new thread for preview 6 but this latest one feels like is ready for prime time. I like it a lot.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No reason to create a new thread for preview 6 but this latest one feels like is ready for prime time. I like it a lot.

Have you noticed any issues with Mail? Since installing DP6, any changes to my Mail rules are not effective. Otherwise, I agree... Mavericks is solid - a definite keeper at this point...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2