Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jclisenby
  • 1 Post By Fausty82
  • 1 Post By Richard Nieves
  • 1 Post By Richard Nieves
  • 1 Post By Fausty82
  • 2 Post By Ipheuria
  • 1 Post By hdtracy
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Hello! So, I currently own an iPhone and iPad which I purchased this year. I love them and how they just work! Anyway as I sat and re-downloaded windows 8 because the original install was incomplete and I needed to restore my computer because it was running slow again, I began to ask myself... IS THERE A BETTER WAY!!!

    I know I can not completely eliminate windows from my life because I am a student in architecture and autocad and revit aren't fully supported on Mac (actually autocad might finally be, but revit still requires windows via bootcamp or virtual machine) however, I find that I can spend 1000+ dollars on a PC and still have issues with it getting slow over time. I also hate that no Matt what I do, I will have all kinds of little issues... Downloading a file? WHY DO SO MANY THINGS DOWNLOAD LIKE 20 different apps I don't want or even know are being installed??? I am computer literate but I feel like I can't get one system to work properly.

    I don't download movies, games or anything illegally from sketchy sites,
    I don't watch porn on my computer
    I have tried several versions of virus protection
    I always try to find the best sources to download files (thingss like texture packs for minecraft or revit families or cad blocks ect)

    Yet I feel like I'm always frustrated with my computer and sick of always having to restore windows when it gets slow and nothing else works... This problem becomes worse when laptops are involved. I moved lot a desktop all in one a couple years ago and still nothing. I've had regular desktops, laptops ect.

    Next year I transition from community college to a university where we supposedly need laptops (I guess an iPad won't suffice) and I am curious about Mac. I know I can use bootcamp for what things I do need on windows, but hardware and software wise? I can I please get some good insight on them? I generally can't get windows laptops to properly last 3 years without needing new chargers several times, a new battery and buttons and such that stop working right or pieces falling off. I have never dropped a laptop yet I encounter all kinds of problems with them not lasting much more that three years. With apple laptops costing almost twice as much as a windows equivalent in many cases, am I still going to run into all these problems?

    For windows users that now use Mac osx, what's good about it over windows feature wise, stability wise ect? Is it worth the bigger price?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    iVazz's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    218 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Coming from PC to Mac myself, I can say it's well worth it to do the switch. I love my 27" iMac and just how intuitive and simple (but powerful) it is to run. As far as laptops go I oppose them, but the MacBook Pros can handle a lot from what I've read into them.

    As far as AutoCad, Autodesk has a native Mac version of it but Revit is currently not supported natively on OS X. Bootcamp via Windows will be your best bet in that regard and I'd recommend using Windows 7 over Windows 8 if you go that route.

    Hope that helps!


    Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk 2
    George Carlin said it best:

    Religion is mind control. Atheism is a non-prophet organization
  3. #3  
    Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Hello! So, I currently own an iPhone and iPad which I purchased this year. I love them and how they just work! Anyway as I sat and re-downloaded windows 8 because the original install was incomplete and I needed to restore my computer because it was running slow again, I began to ask myself... IS THERE A BETTER WAY!!!

    I know I can not completely eliminate windows from my life because I am a student in architecture and autocad and revit aren't fully supported on Mac (actually autocad might finally be, but revit still requires windows via bootcamp or virtual machine) however, I find that I can spend 1000+ dollars on a PC and still have issues with it getting slow over time. I also hate that no Matt what I do, I will have all kinds of little issues... Downloading a file? WHY DO SO MANY THINGS DOWNLOAD LIKE 20 different apps I don't want or even know are being installed??? I am computer literate but I feel like I can't get one system to work properly.

    I don't download movies, games or anything illegally from sketchy sites,
    I don't watch porn on my computer
    I have tried several versions of virus protection
    I always try to find the best sources to download files (thingss like texture packs for minecraft or revit families or cad blocks ect)

    Yet I feel like I'm always frustrated with my computer and sick of always having to restore windows when it gets slow and nothing else works... This problem becomes worse when laptops are involved. I moved lot a desktop all in one a couple years ago and still nothing. I've had regular desktops, laptops ect.

    Next year I transition from community college to a university where we supposedly need laptops (I guess an iPad won't suffice) and I am curious about Mac. I know I can use bootcamp for what things I do need on windows, but hardware and software wise? I can I please get some good insight on them? I generally can't get windows laptops to properly last 3 years without needing new chargers several times, a new battery and buttons and such that stop working right or pieces falling off. I have never dropped a laptop yet I encounter all kinds of problems with them not lasting much more that three years. With apple laptops costing almost twice as much as a windows equivalent in many cases, am I still going to run into all these problems?

    For windows users that now use Mac osx, what's good about it over windows feature wise, stability wise ect? Is it worth the bigger price?

    Thanks
    OSX is stable as hell and has more features to boot. It is well WELL worth it, I used to have to use windows PC's all they way till 2011 but my Mac blows them away.
  4. #4  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Get the Mac. My 5 year old Mac runs faster and smoother than most people's PC's that are new. It's all in the OS. That's what keeps a Mac speedy for years.


    Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  5. #5  
    TurboTiger's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,431 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.2

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    OSX is stable.
    Boots up in seconds. Wow!
    My MacBook Air is super thin & super light.
    The whole Eco system is great between the Mac, iPhone & iPad.
    I started with the iPhone cause my contract was up on my BB Storm.
    Bought the iPad 1 month later because I loved the iPhone.
    Bought the MacBook Air about 9 months later because I just wanted to get away from my PC.
    Booted up the old laptop Sunday & it took so long, I did a chore, came back & it was still booting up.
    Good Luck

    Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Mavericks 10.9.4
    Cigar Lover
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Ok well here is another question then. MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. I need to find out for sure what I will need the laptop itself for, but if I just need it for normal functions and not programs like cad (I have a desktop I can do cad on if I don't need the laptop for cad)

    I notice the specs for the MacBook Air are pretty low so I am not sure how well it will run. Those specs on a windows pc = SLOW... Are specs as important on Mac? I do like the thin and light and 12 hour battery that the MacBook Air has.
  7. #7  
    Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Ok well here is another question then. MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. I need to find out for sure what I will need the laptop itself for, but if I just need it for normal functions and not programs like cad (I have a desktop I can do cad on if I don't need the laptop for cad)

    I notice the specs for the MacBook Air are pretty low so I am not sure how well it will run. Those specs on a windows pc = SLOW... Are specs as important on Mac? I do like the thin and light and 12 hour battery that the MacBook Air has.
    Specs are specs, no matter the OS. IF you seriously need to work on the go and such the 15" MBP is your best bet.
  8. #8  
    Peter Cohen's Avatar
    iMore staff

    Posts
    76 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    The specs on MacBook Air are deceiving light. Remember, it has very fast storage thanks to PCIe-based flash - that makes it boot quick, load apps quick, and write (and page) out to disk lightning-fast.

    Having said that, the uses you've described are squarely in pro territory. I expect the MacBook Pro would be a better option for you.
  9. #9  
    applefanboi's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    220 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    I would also suggest using a MBP versus the Air based on your needs.

    I went with the MacBook Pro myself when I switched to Mac and use it as a desktop replacement with no problem. It has the power and utility that I need, with the option of going mobile.
    AT&T iPhone 5 16GB White iOS 7.0.3 - Sven
    17" Macbook Pro (late 2011) OS 10.9 Mavericks - Joffrey

    mix1985 from Crackberry
  10. #10  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    OP I'm going to chime in even though you might have already made your decision. I think I will have a few good bits of insight for you because I have been a Windows user for over 15 years and a Mac for over 8. I use both every day and I work at an Architecture firm so while I'm not an Architect I do have some familiarity with the software you mention and setting up machines to use with the software. The few things I'd need to know are will you need to do any of your work on the laptop or will you be able to do all your work on the desktop? I have run Windows on my MBP both in bootcamp and in parallel using Fusion. They both have downsides because using Windows in Bootcamp means you have to switch betwene the OSes depending on what you need to do or use. In parallel it was much better because you could have both OSes at the same time but they share resources so to get good performance from each the specs have to be pretty high. My current setup now for me is the optimal I run both at the same time and I have my full resources on each OS. I have a Windows desktop and run Mac OS on my laptop. I control the Windows desktop with my laptop via Remote Desktop Connection for the Mac. It allows me to use all my Windows software without sacrificing resources.
    Macs are great the qaulity is great, service is excellent when they have issues you just take them to a genius bar. The resale value is also great which means when it's time to buy a new one you can usually sell the old one to add to the money buying the new one, I've done that twice now. Macs have things that are so much nicer than Windows like when you connect a device it automatically detects it and will run the program to handle the data. However there are things I love about Windows also like how easy it is to find little programs to do just about anything. Which is why I like using both because I don't have to try and hobble something together on each platform I just use whichever works best for the reason.
    Whatever setup you decide to use there is one great thing about both OSes you can and are using and that is their built in backup capability. So whatever you decide to buy make sure an external drive is a part of that purchase. You should have one hooked up to your Windows machine and one hooked up to whateever Mac you get. Setup "Windows 7 File Recovery" which is what they call Windows backup in Windows 8. Do it automatically weekly or monthly because when the machine starts to go slow or hardware breaks it's a simple as popping your Windows disk in and restoring from the last backup and your system will be good as new. On the Mac side connect the external and start up Time Machine, same deal if hardware breaks or you get a new Mac it's as easy as restoring from a Time Machine backup and you'll have your data, settings, programs it's a time saver.
    The MBA vs MBP I'm with everyone else on this one I'd say go for the MBP because the newer ones are fast, pretty light and a work horse. If you need a few tips about some Windows settings you can check and change to speed things up a bit feel free to PM me.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  11. #11  
    madeinhb's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    The MBA meets a certain person. Someone who travels a lot who only needs email, calendar, browsing websites. It's not intended for heavy use. More basic uses. Kind of like a notebook in the PC world. MBP will never replace the desktop macs, but it's close. I used to run Final Cut Pro on my MBP with no problems.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Thank you everyone for great responses! Based on feedback, I think I will end up getting a MacBook Pro, however, the price is intimidating compared to windows. I generally get windows laptops that cost about 1200 but the MacBook can cost over 2000! The cheapest MacBook seems pointless as its specs aren't far from the most expensive MacBook Air. The retina seems to have better spec options but costs a lot more. Is the hardware worth the significant price rise compared to windows? I mean I have had all my windows laptops kind of fall apart in one way or another (literally, the screen was falling off on one!) despite good care and in only a matter of 2-3 years so I am willing to save up / use more financial aid if need be because I want something reliable and that will work good!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Also, Mac osx, what's different about it compared to windows? I can look it up (and have) but compared to windows, why might I like it more? Is it as reliable and less prone to slowing down/viruses compared to windows like its always advertised?
  14. #14  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Thank you everyone for great responses! Based on feedback, I think I will end up getting a MacBook Pro, however, the price is intimidating compared to windows. I generally get windows laptops that cost about 1200 but the MacBook can cost over 2000! The cheapest MacBook seems pointless as its specs aren't far from the most expensive MacBook Air. The retina seems to have better spec options but costs a lot more. Is the hardware worth the significant price rise compared to windows? I mean I have had all my windows laptops kind of fall apart in one way or another (literally, the screen was falling off on one!) despite good care and in only a matter of 2-3 years so I am willing to save up / use more financial aid if need be because I want something reliable and that will work good!
    The best part about the non-retina MBP is that it’s easily upgradable. Apart from the processor, the end user can add memory, bigger/faster hard drive (SSD?) and truly customize their device. The MBA and the rMBP have soldered in memory and proprietary SSDs. I know that in the previous generation MBA, the SSD was not soldered in, and the after-market sources offered SSD upgrades, but not sure how viable that route really would be. And the new MBAs use a different design for the SSD, so even if it’s possible, there aren’t any 3rd party SSD sources (yet). I have a rMBP and am quite happy with it - love the screen, but I paid an arm and a leg for it to max out the specs because it was not upgradable - either by me or through Apple.

    How sure are you that you will stay with the MacBook? Are you seriously wanting to switch, or is this an "experiment"? I don’t mean that to sound like it probably does, but my point is that if you are not sure you want to go Mac and stay Mac, you might be better off going with a more inexpensive model to start... and then selling/upgrading in a few years to a more beefy spec/model. Regardless of what you decide, the functionally usable lifespan of your Mac will certainly outlast that of any Windows machine that I have ever seen or used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Also, Mac osx, what's different about it compared to windows? I can look it up (and have) but compared to windows, why might I like it more? Is it as reliable and less prone to slowing down/viruses compared to windows like its always advertised?
    OS X is less prone to viruses for several reasons. Primarily, it is (IMHO) better designed and more secure. And there is also the fact that over the years, the majority of computer users owned and used Windows, which was significantly less secure. The combination of "most users" and "less secure" made Windows an easy target with bigger payoff for malware creators/distributors. Frankly, in the day, there weren’t enough OS X users, statistically speaking, to make it worth the malware purveyor's efforts. Malware has become more of a concern with OS X's growth and popularity, but it is not overwhelmingly so.

    As far as the OS itself, it just seems to work well. I firmly believe that a big part of that is the hardware/software integration that Apple employs. They make the hardware, select the parts (video cards, etc) and use the same parts throughout most of their hardware line. That makes integrating the drivers and supporting firmware a simpler task than for Microsoft, who has to spec/write/test drivers for every type of hardware that could possibly be used in a Windows computer. Simplicity rules the day - less "moving parts", so to speak.

    OS X continues to evolve, and morphs into what it is/what it will be ... new features and functions continue to be added... but Cupertino will never give its users a Vista or Windows 8 redesign mess that has caused the consternation that Microsoft continues to foist upon its users...

    Of course, this is just my opinion... but it’s what I believe... and will continue to believe.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (07-13-2013)
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  15. #15  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Thank you everyone for great responses! Based on feedback, I think I will end up getting a MacBook Pro, however, the price is intimidating compared to windows. I generally get windows laptops that cost about 1200 but the MacBook can cost over 2000! The cheapest MacBook seems pointless as its specs aren't far from the most expensive MacBook Air. The retina seems to have better spec options but costs a lot more. Is the hardware worth the significant price rise compared to windows? I mean I have had all my windows laptops kind of fall apart in one way or another (literally, the screen was falling off on one!) despite good care and in only a matter of 2-3 years so I am willing to save up / use more financial aid if need be because I want something reliable and that will work good!
    If you are considering financial aid look online at the Apple Financial it offers you 18 months interest free. So take the total cost of the order and divide by 18 and that will be your monthly payments. Now as for your questions Macs last longer than Windows laptops I've owned both and with Macs I run them for 2 years most time before deciding to update. Then when I'm ready to update I've sold them for $1,000 for my two past MBPs so although the new MBP costs me over $2K it's a little over $1K because of the money I get from the sale of my old MBP. This is what I was saying about the resale value of Macs. The retina is insane I owned one for a short while before I had to return it. The screen is AMAZING! but as someone else said the older MBPs will offer more upgradability but then you wont be abl to use Apple Financial for it.

    Difference between the OSes, viruses are almost non existent for Macs because of it's small market share. It's not worth the effort of most virus writers because the impact will not be as big. I have been using Macs for 8 years as I said and I have never run antivirus. It does exist for Macs but most people I know don't run it and especially if you don't browse risky sites well it's even less likely. I wouldn't say the OS is more stable I have run Windows on desktops and laptops for 15 years now and I have experienced almost a handful of crashes. It is all in the way Windows is setup and kept up to date. I have also had a few experiences of the BBOD(Beachball of death) on the Mac. The difference is most of the times you can force quite the app and keep running. Although on two or three occassions it was so locked up I had to power off. Every computer once or twice will crash it's the nature of the beast but in 15 years I have only had about 5 or 10 crashes on Windows and 2 or 3 really bad locks ups on Mac. This is a very good stat for me I think. As for differences Windows has a lot more little programs to do just about anything, freeware, shareware, etc. Mac OSes cost a lot less when upgrade time comes around. There are many other little differences but just think about what you will be doing with the Mac and what software you are hoping to run on it. Also consider the gaming aspect if you plan to do gaming? Until recently with Steam the Mac hasn't been a huge gaming platform.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  16. #16  
    jf1450's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    Also, Mac osx, what's different about it compared to windows? I can look it up (and have) but compared to windows, why might I like it more? Is it as reliable and less prone to slowing down/viruses compared to windows like its always advertised?
    It's built on Unix. 'Nuff said. :-)

    Oh, I feel your pain about Win 8.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    If you are considering financial aid look online at the Apple Financial it offers you 18 months interest free. So take the total cost of the order and divide by 18 and that will be your monthly payments. Now as for your questions Macs last longer than Windows laptops I've owned both and with Macs I run them for 2 years most time before deciding to update. Then when I'm ready to update I've sold them for $1,000 for my two past MBPs so although the new MBP costs me over $2K it's a little over $1K because of the money I get from the sale of my old MBP. This is what I was saying about the resale value of Macs. The retina is insane I owned one for a short while before I had to return it. The screen is AMAZING! but as someone else said the older MBPs will offer more upgradability but then you wont be abl to use Apple Financial for it.

    Difference between the OSes, viruses are almost non existent for Macs because of it's small market share. It's not worth the effort of most virus writers because the impact will not be as big. I have been using Macs for 8 years as I said and I have never run antivirus. It does exist for Macs but most people I know don't run it and especially if you don't browse risky sites well it's even less likely. I wouldn't say the OS is more stable I have run Windows on desktops and laptops for 15 years now and I have experienced almost a handful of crashes. It is all in the way Windows is setup and kept up to date. I have also had a few experiences of the BBOD(Beachball of death) on the Mac. The difference is most of the times you can force quite the app and keep running. Although on two or three occassions it was so locked up I had to power off. Every computer once or twice will crash it's the nature of the beast but in 15 years I have only had about 5 or 10 crashes on Windows and 2 or 3 really bad locks ups on Mac. This is a very good stat for me I think. As for differences Windows has a lot more little programs to do just about anything, freeware, shareware, etc. Mac OSes cost a lot less when upgrade time comes around. There are many other little differences but just think about what you will be doing with the Mac and what software you are hoping to run on it. Also consider the gaming aspect if you plan to do gaming? Until recently with Steam the Mac hasn't been a huge gaming platform.
    As far as gaming goes, I really only play minecraft and sim/simcity games. I am a hardcore creative person so really anything creative is about all I care about as far as games and I also have a desktop if it can't play the games I want it to.

    I think its great that the retail value doesn't go down! Will be nice for upgrading later.
    Ipheuria likes this.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Richard Nieves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    The best part about the non-retina MBP is that itís easily upgradable. Apart from the processor, the end user can add memory, bigger/faster hard drive (SSD?) and truly customize their device. The MBA and the rMBP have soldered in memory and proprietary SSDs. I know that in the previous generation MBA, the SSD was not soldered in, and the after-market sources offered SSD upgrades, but not sure how viable that route really would be. And the new MBAs use a different design for the SSD, so even if itís possible, there arenít any 3rd party SSD sources (yet). I have a rMBP and am quite happy with it - love the screen, but I paid an arm and a leg for it to max out the specs because it was not upgradable - either by me or through Apple.

    How sure are you that you will stay with the MacBook? Are you seriously wanting to switch, or is this an "experiment"? I donít mean that to sound like it probably does, but my point is that if you are not sure you want to go Mac and stay Mac, you might be better off going with a more inexpensive model to start... and then selling/upgrading in a few years to a more beefy spec/model. Regardless of what you decide, the functionally usable lifespan of your Mac will certainly outlast that of any Windows machine that I have ever seen or used.



    OS X is less prone to viruses for several reasons. Primarily, it is (IMHO) better designed and more secure. And there is also the fact that over the years, the majority of computer users owned and used Windows, which was significantly less secure. The combination of "most users" and "less secure" made Windows an easy target with bigger payoff for malware creators/distributors. Frankly, in the day, there werenít enough OS X users, statistically speaking, to make it worth the malware purveyor's efforts. Malware has become more of a concern with OS X's growth and popularity, but it is not overwhelmingly so.

    As far as the OS itself, it just seems to work well. I firmly believe that a big part of that is the hardware/software integration that Apple employs. They make the hardware, select the parts (video cards, etc) and use the same parts throughout most of their hardware line. That makes integrating the drivers and supporting firmware a simpler task than for Microsoft, who has to spec/write/test drivers for every type of hardware that could possibly be used in a Windows computer. Simplicity rules the day - less "moving parts", so to speak.

    OS X continues to evolve, and morphs into what it is/what it will be ... new features and functions continue to be added... but Cupertino will never give its users a Vista or Windows 8 redesign mess that has caused the consternation that Microsoft continues to foist upon its users...

    Of course, this is just my opinion... but itís what I believe... and will continue to believe.
    As far as "how sure" I am, I am about 85% sure.

    - I know it can run windows either by bootcamp or virtual machine (a must for using revit
    - I know it has less virus and malware than windows based on this forums inputs as well as reviews
    - I have heard its smoother than windows with less hiccups
    - it's value is much higher
    - the hardware sounds like it may last longer with less things falling apart
    - I like the magnetic plug for the charger. I feel like that is much less likely to break than some windows laptop plugs
    - battery life sounds a lot better than comparable windows laptops
    - thinner than most equivalent windows laptops
    - lighter than average equivalent windows laptops

    I honestly want to go to a best buy and play with it myself but I will likely go with some version of the Mbp. I will probably get it in the spring though so I can wait for the new models to come out and to save enough to get it. (It also gives me more time to continue to get user opinions on here and research). When the spring semester starts, I will know for sure.
    Ipheuria likes this.
  19. #19  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    As far as "how sure" I am, I am about 85% sure.

    - I know it can run windows either by bootcamp or virtual machine (a must for using revit
    - I know it has less virus and malware than windows based on this forums inputs as well as reviews
    - I have heard its smoother than windows with less hiccups
    - it's value is much higher
    - the hardware sounds like it may last longer with less things falling apart
    - I like the magnetic plug for the charger. I feel like that is much less likely to break than some windows laptop plugs
    - battery life sounds a lot better than comparable windows laptops
    - thinner than most equivalent windows laptops
    - lighter than average equivalent windows laptops

    I honestly want to go to a best buy and play with it myself but I will likely go with some version of the Mbp. I will probably get it in the spring though so I can wait for the new models to come out and to save enough to get it. (It also gives me more time to continue to get user opinions on here and research). When the spring semester starts, I will know for sure.
    It sounds like you’re doing a thorough job of researching your next computer. I would urge you to follow through on your desire to go "hands on" with a Mac... And I wish you good luck with your decision...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Ipheuria likes this.
  20. #20  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nieves View Post
    As far as "how sure" I am, I am about 85% sure.

    - I know it can run windows either by bootcamp or virtual machine (a must for using revit
    - I know it has less virus and malware than windows based on this forums inputs as well as reviews
    - I have heard its smoother than windows with less hiccups
    - it's value is much higher
    - the hardware sounds like it may last longer with less things falling apart
    - I like the magnetic plug for the charger. I feel like that is much less likely to break than some windows laptop plugs
    - battery life sounds a lot better than comparable windows laptops
    - thinner than most equivalent windows laptops
    - lighter than average equivalent windows laptops

    I honestly want to go to a best buy and play with it myself but I will likely go with some version of the Mbp. I will probably get it in the spring though so I can wait for the new models to come out and to save enough to get it. (It also gives me more time to continue to get user opinions on here and research). When the spring semester starts, I will know for sure.
    As Fausty82 said looks like you're doing your homework. Also you have iMore to help you once you get one so GL.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (07-18-2013)
    Fausty82 and Chetan Takyar like this.
  21. #21  
    hdtracy's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows PC user looking for Mac insight.

    My personal computer is a MBP and my work computer is a Dell PC - the largest difference I notice is that my MBP just isn't hormonal and temperamental the way that my work computer gets sometimes! It's just a far more stable, secured feeling environment in my opinion
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    MacBook Pro
    Apple TV Gen. 4


    Former Android fangirl gone to the dark side. Never going back!
    TurboTiger likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. iOS 7 beta for iPad compared to iPhone
    By Dryland in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 05:58 AM
  3. New FREE Pyramid solitaire app for iPad
    By neilcoffey in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  4. High Burger - a new cool game for iOS and Android
    By Peter Johnson2 in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Posting Permissions