Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Default Re: The New OS X Mavericks

Argggh I'm so tempted to do this I think I will lol I've done a backup so I think I'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow. Does it require a fresh install? I really don't want to reload my whole machine.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

Global Posts
    22,165 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    Argggh I'm so tempted to do this I think I will lol I've done a backup so I think I'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow. Does it require a fresh install? I really don't want to reload my whole machine.
    Go for it...(laughing)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    C'mon in, the water's fine!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I finally managed to capture the screen print of the Bartender issue... its intermittent, and annoying, but not a huge thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The New OS X Mavericks-screen-shot-2013-06-13-5.52.22-pm.png  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,669 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've installed it on a separate partition. It's amazing.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Not sure who, if anyone is running this ... but ...

I have encountered an intermittent issue with wifi dropping out. I’m using a 2012 Airport Extreme BaseStation as my router, and I’ve noticed this issue whether connected to the 2.4GHz or 5.0 GHz bands. Reported same to Apple.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

I have a question. I just recently bought a MBP and was wondering how upgrades to the OS go. It obviously doesn't have this OS and was wondering how the upgrades go and what it costs usually? I haven't used a Mac in awhile so I am a little rusty when it comes to those things.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    I have a question. I just recently bought a MBP and was wondering how upgrades to the OS go. It obviously doesn't have this OS and was wondering how the upgrades go and what it costs usually? I haven't used a Mac in awhile so I am a little rusty when it comes to those things.
    When Apple releases a new OS X, from Lion (10.7) forward, the new software was available via the Mac App Store. Prior to that is was available on CD/DVD. Lion was also available on a flash drive. The cost has continued to fall. At one point, the OS was $119. Update to Lion was priced at $29, and Mountain Lion was $19. No pricing info is available for Mavericks yet.
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 (06-15-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

I'm a fan boy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Newbie

When using AirPlay to an Apple TV, does the picture fill both screens (monitor and TV) or do we have to choose which to format for?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Mobley View Post
    When using AirPlay to an Apple TV, does the picture fill both screens (monitor and TV) or do we have to choose which to format for?
    It’s configurable. If you are mirroring the display, you have to pick one or the other. If you are extending the display, you need to set the resolution for each screen. It remembers the setting from session to session. Personally, it’s not something that I would use all the time, but I can definitely see where it would come in handy. I have used my TV as a display prior to Mavericks using HDMI/DisplayPort/Thunderbolt cables//adapters. This works pretty much the same way, but it’s better to have a wireless option.
    iPhone Newbie

So if I am reading you right, AirPlay works the same way in Mavericks as it does in Mountain Lion?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Mobley View Post
    So if I am reading you right, AirPlay works the same way in Mavericks as it does in Mountain Lion?
    Yes, it does... but the issue that I thought we were discussing was using AirPlay to EXTEND your desktop onto a TV. Mountain Lion would allow you to MIRROR your desktop to a TV using AirPlay. This is different... but to answer your last question, yes, AirPlay works the same as in Mountain Lion.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Yes, it does... but the issue that I thought we were discussing was using AirPlay to EXTEND your desktop onto a TV. Mountain Lion would allow you to MIRROR your desktop to a TV using AirPlay. This is different... but to answer your last question, yes, AirPlay works the same as in Mountain Lion.
    You are correct on both parts, thanks for the clarification!

Global Posts
    6,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I finally got it installed. So far so good although I haven't been able to play around with the new features much yet.

I did run into an odd problem with Safari. It would appear to be loading my tabs, but then they'd be blank. After much googling and checking settings, I had to disable AdBlock+ extension. And then all my tabs appeared.

I also ran into problems with Little Snitch. I had to disable it for now. They already have a nightly build up that should fix the problem, I just have to have time to download it and install it.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,669 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I finally got it installed. So far so good although I haven't been able to play around with the new features much yet.

I did run into an odd problem with Safari. It would appear to be loading my tabs, but then they'd be blank. After much googling and checking settings, I had to disable AdBlock+ extension. And then all my tabs appeared.

I also ran into problems with Little Snitch. I had to disable it for now. They already have a nightly build up that should fix the problem, I just have to have time to download it and install it.
    I think OSX is pretty much daily driver material.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I have my CCC bootable backup done but Mavericks will have to wait for tomorrow.

Disappointed to here that Bartender breaks though. I love that little utility.
    I just got prompted for an update to Bartender (v1.2.2 Beta) which promises compatibility with Mavericks... though apart from the weirdness with the System Clock in Mavericks, Bartender v1.0.9 worked fine....

Bartender 1.2.2 Beta
    This Beta release contains many internal changes to provide Mavericks support, allow us to add some of the new great features and to better support some apps that had compatibility issues with Bartender. As such if you could report any issues you find it would really help.

New Features / Improvements

Mavericks Support

• Bartender now fully supports the Multi-monitor features of Mavericks, including multiple Menu Bars and spaces. Bartender will hide the menu bar icons on each menu bar, and will display the Bartender Bar on the Active Space/Screen.
    • Show For Updates for System Items
    • Show for updates now works with system items, no need to say any more, give it a try its great.
    • Show For Updates, Image recognition
    • Bartender now uses image recognition to detect changes in Menu Bar Items, this prevents false positives, i.e. showing when a update didn't really happen and an app just refreshed its state.
    • Show For Updates, remaining in the Menu Bar until timeout
    • Previous versions of Bartender would show items in the menu bar from the first update until the timeout, then hide and show again if another update happened. Now an item will show in the Menu Bar from the last update until the specified timeout, so if updates keep happening the item will stay in the menubar.
    • Power Usage
    • We have improved Bartenders power usage dramatically to help extend battery life for users of Mavericks.

Compatibility

• We have been making major changes to the control code of Bartender to improve compatibility with the few apps that didnt work well with Bartender, these should see a huge improvement, and all apps should work better with Bartender.
    • Dragging to Bartender
    • You can now drag items to Bartenders Menu Bar Icon and the default click action will be performed allowing you to drag and drop to apps hidden by Bartender.
    • Fullscreen detection
    • If you are on Mountain Lion or newer versions of OSX, Bartender will now detect when switching to a fullscreen app and automatically hide the Bartender Bar, it will then reopen it when you switch to a non fullscreen space, works very nicely on Mavericks with fullscreen apps on a separate display.
    • OSX Compatibility Checks
    • Bartender now checks that it is compatible with the version of OSX you are running and will prompt you to inform us of compatibility issues.

Bug Fixes

Grey System Items

• In previous versions System Items would appear slightly grey, instead of black when in the Bartender Bar, this has been fixed.
    • Bartender filesystem location limits
    • In previous versions of Bartender had to be in a location accessible by sandboxed apps, such as /Applications/ instead of say ~/Applications/ with this release this is no longer required and Bartender works from any location.
    • System Items not present on new OSX installs
    • On new installs of OSX, System Items would not be populated in Bartender Preferences until they were edited in System Preferences; this now works.
    • Dynamic System Items
    • Previously dynamic system items would not show in Bartender Preferences, they now show as expected.
    • Skype Support
    • With the latest update to Skype they included a security measure that unfortunately also prevented Bartender from working with it. We have found a way to still work with Skype.

LaunchBar Compatibility

• Currently LaunchBar does not display a Menubar item that needs controlling as such we detect this and do not allow settings to be added for LaunchBar.
    • Using discrete graphics on late 2010 MBP's after 10.8.3
    • Bartender should now not switch to discrete graphics.
    • SystemUIServer high CPU usage on rare occasions
    • For some users on rare occasions SystemUIServer would display high CPU usage, this is now fixed.

Tunnelbrick Compatibility

For some users TunnelBrick would create multiple menu bar items when used with Bartender, this is now fixed.

Custom Menu Bar Icon Image large in drop down in Preferences

Selecting a large image for the menu bar icon of Bartender would cause the drop down to display this image larger than other items, this is now fixed.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12