How does OSX handle specific files originally made in Microsoft programs?

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to get some advise, since I'm planning to make the switch from a Windows laptop to an iMac within the next few months...
But I have a lot of Microsoft Word, Excel files that I don't want to lose.
Neither can I afford to lose all my emails and websites (using Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox).

I run a company, so for me all the above files are very important to maintain.
- Now my fear is... will OSX recognize all these files by default, or do I need to convert everything with a specific app?
Also, normally I make weekly backups of all my files to an external harddrive, will this harddrive be recognized by OSX?

** I need to be absolutely sure that my files are safe, before I make the switch within the next few months.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would like to get some advise, since I'm planning to make the switch from a Windows laptop to an iMac within the next few months...
But I have a lot of Microsoft Word, Excel files that I don't want to lose.
Neither can I afford to lose all my emails and websites (using Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox).

I run a company, so for me all the above files are very important to maintain.
- Now my fear is... will OSX recognize all these files by default, or do I need to convert everything with a specific app?
Also, normally I make weekly backups of all my files to an external harddrive, will this harddrive be recognized by OSX?

** I need to be absolutely sure that my files are safe, before I make the switch within the next few months.

There are versions of Microsoft Office for OS X... as well as Apple's own iWork suite (Pages = Word; Numbers = Excel and Keynote = Powerpoint) that read/write in Office's native formats. If you are comfortable with Microsoft Office, just pick up a copy of the suite for OS X and Bob's your uncle, as they say in England.

As for email, Mozilla has a version of Thunderbird for OS X. There is also a version the Microsoft Office email client (Outlook) that runs in the OS X version of MS Office on OS X.

And, of course, there is a version of Mozilla's Firefox for OS X, as well.

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I got some valuable info from you guys... thanks!
I guess my best chance would be to get OSX versions of Office, to be able to fully use the Word/Excel files the way I'm used to.

I just checked my external harddrive however, and it's a NTFS format... but it should be able to re-format it to FAT I assume.
(will try that in a bit)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I got some valuable info from you guys... thanks!
I guess my best chance would be to get OSX versions of Office, to be able to fully use the Word/Excel files the way I'm used to.

I just checked my external harddrive however, and it's a NTFS format... but it should be able to re-format it to FAT I assume.
(will try that in a bit)

Another option for your external drive would be to connect it to your network via a router that has such a feature (All of the Apple routers do, as well as many other routers available today). By doing this, the network protocols will take care of the conversion to/from NTFS... without the need to convert your existing drive. I currently have a 2TB drive attached via my Apple Airport Extreme router and I can read/write to/from this drive on my Mac, Windows and Linux computers.

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, not sure what to do here.
I checked the option to switch the file-system on my external harddisk from NTFS to FAT... but I only get the option to switch from NTFS to exFAT.

Regarding compatibility with OSX, would it be a smart choice to switch to exFAT, or would I be better of, sticking to NTFS??

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Current OS X versions are able to read and write on exFAT volumes, although some restrictions may apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm about to re-format my external harddrive to exFAT (so it's compatible with both Windows 7 and OSX).

But when formatting, I get the option of choosing the 'allocation unit size'...
- 32 kb

* What size do you recommend me to format?
I take it, it has to do with the size of files you store on the harddrive?
(I plan to store video and music files, when I switch to iMac... for video / music editing purposes and such)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2