Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Messages - Command Delete

I have an interesting request. With iChat when you type a long sentence, and then press "Command + Delete" it deletes the whole line.

With the new Messages replacing iChat in Mountain Lion, when doing the same, I get a message saying the entire conversation will be deleted.

Is there a way to revert this behavior to the way it was before. In other apps, it still works the old way - Command+Delete deletes all the text on that line.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Messages - Command Delete

The way I solved it was to open System Preferences → Keyboard → Application Shortcuts and override the shortcut for the Delete Conversation menu item.

Ultimately, I had both "Delete Conversation" and "Delete Conversation..." (note the "...") set to ⌥⇧⌘W (Option-Shift-Command-W). (When I set just one or the other, a mysterious second menu item would appear. Setting both solved the problem.)

Now ⌘⌫ (Command-Delete) works as expected, deleting to the start of the line.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by sharplet; 11-13-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: emphasis