Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Can Notes sync with Mountain Lion?

Hello everyone!

I just updated to Mountain Lion. I was able to get my Reminders to sync but my Notes app does not want to cooperate. Is there a trick to getting this to work?

I have notes active on my iCloud account and have iCloud active on my iMac. Anything I'm missing?

PS - I am thrilled with the Reminders app for Mac. Presently I freelance digital marketing services. I was contemplating purchasing an iPhone and Mac app so that I could have my to do list everywhere. This is just what I was looking for!!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

My notes, both iCloud and Yahoo, have synced to the new Notes mac app.
    Go to System Preferences > iCloud and make sure you have "Notes" checked.
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."
    Thanked by:
    iLive an iLife (07-25-2012)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Exxod View Post
    My notes, both iCloud and Yahoo, have synced to the new Notes mac app.
    Go to System Preferences > iCloud and make sure you have "Notes" checked.
    I had everything checked correctly; my problem was I was using the "On my iPhone" Notes account instead of the iCloud account. I did the exact same thing with my Calendar whenever iCloud was introduced. I kept getting duplicate events because I was using my standard calendars on our iMac and the iCloud calendars on my iPhone. Thanks for the help!

iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Okay, I see. I did the same thing with Calendar as well. After that, I've done everything through iCloud, mail, notes, calendars, and reminders, and haven't had a problem since.
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I should've known I had to select iCloud for Notes and Reminders (like iCal)... I didn't even think about having used an "iPhone Only" account!

Thanked by:
    Tifom (07-26-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Default How to get notes from "On my phone" into iCloud

Hi, thanks for this thread. But I have one last question: How do I get my notes which are "On my Phone" into iCloud? Since Mountain Lion, via Mac Mail will be no longer possible. Thanks for help! Tifom
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hey Tifom! What I did was just go through and copy/paste the notes from "iPhone Only" to "iCloud." I only had maybe 7 notes, so that was pretty easy. I'm pretty sure that's the only way. I set iCloud as my default Notes account. That should save me some frustration in the future!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks iLive an iLife for your reply. Problem is, I have about 150 notes. Looks like, I have to jailbreak my phone to get access to all notes :-(
    Last edited by Tifom; 07-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Tifom: Not sure if this will help. I was trying to search around and found this on an Apple forum

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Help Forum View Post
    I know this is a PC stream, but I found a work around for note syncing on the mac, not as smooth a mobile me in the set up, but works fine after set up. Hopefully some of you PC people can use this info to help:

I had problems with this too. I think i found the solution. The new os 5 and lion create different accounts for notes, an "icloud note" and a "on my iphone" note, both on the iphone. Also, an" icloud" note along with an "on my mac" note account on your mac. If you are the administrator you may not see the "icloud" note, your icloud email address will be displayed.

Now, to sync notes you have to use the icloud / icloud email address note. The way you do this is, on the iphone go into settings > notes and pick the icloud as the defaut note setting (or if icloud isnt a choice pick your icloud email address as the default note setting) You can also choose the icloud note right from notes, when you open notes there is a button in the upper left corner that says "accounts." you can then pick the icloud account at the time you are making the note. When you create a note, the note is sent to your email address. On the mac, in the notes section of your email screen, you will see: notes >on my mac and icloud(or your icloud email address will be displayed) You can view your synced notes there.

The problem with this is it syncs the note as an email and your inbox gets full with all your notes, if you delete the note-email frome your inbox the note gets deleted from all devices too. The work around is to go into your mail and open preferences>accounts>mail box behaviors and uncheck the "show notes in inbox." once you do this your notes sync between all devices that are set up this way. If you make changes to the note, the note changes on all devices and the notes do not clutter your inbox.

took me a week to figure this out. I was bumbed when note syncing wasn't as smooth as on mobile me, everything else is syncing well. With notes, it just didn't work. Hope this helps
    I am with you - I would not want to copy/paste 150+ notes!!

iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Can Notes sync with Mountain Lion?

Hi, I hope this is the right place. My problem is same to Tifom's I am traying to transfer notes from my iphone to my icloud. I enabled icloud note sync but this does not move any notes to my icloud account. End result: i wish to export my notes from my iphone to my new ipod touch. i have also enabled icloud sync on my ipod. I learn that notes created before enable icloud do not transfer to the icloud. if this is right, how to transfer these notes from iphone to icloud and then to new ipod touch? thank you very much
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Santorinius View Post
    I learn that notes created before enable icloud do not transfer to the icloud.
    as far as my experience goes, this is correct.

how to transfer these notes from iphone to icloud and then to new ipod touch?
    Use some program such as CopyTrans Contacts which will .

Or, if your iPhone local notes are not too many, use copy/paste to re-create these notes on your iPhone so that they get pushed to your iCloud and thus to your iPod Touch.
    Last edited by Kaitokomauri; 11-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

the BEST SOLUTION just log in to iCloud.com you'll see the interface and you'll know what to do ..... in and out... simple ... enjoy!!!
    Banned

Syncing Notes using iTunes is no longer supported on OS X v10.8 and Mavericks, if you have lots of notes, you can use Fireebok iLike to sync or transfer them to your Mac computer.
    Read this article here:

Can Notes sync with Mountain Lion?-export_notes.png
    Can Notes sync with Mountain Lion?-save_notes.png