Upgrade Memory on MacBook Pro Mid-2009

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm Somewhat familiar with working on computers; however, I don't want to mess up mu MacBook. I'm looking to purchase some RAM to upgrade my mid-2009 MacBook Pro with 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. I currently have 4 GBs total, 2 x 2 GB cards. I'm looking to upgrade it to 8 GB total, so 2 x 4 GB cards. I want to order some and replace it myself but I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

I have seen some on Tiger Direct and NewEgg but I want to make sure I have the right stuff. Does $50 sound like the right price for this memory? Anyone have the specifics on what specs the memory needs for this model or any suggestions on what to get? Thanks!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm Somewhat familiar with working on computers; however, I don't want to mess up mu MacBook. I'm looking to purchase some RAM to upgrade my mid-2009 MacBook Pro with 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. I currently have 4 GBs total, 2 x 2 GB cards. I'm looking to upgrade it to 8 GB total, so 2 x 4 GB cards. I want to order some and replace it myself but I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

I have seen some on Tiger Direct and NewEgg but I want to make sure I have the right stuff. Does $50 sound like the right price for this memory? Anyone have the specifics on what specs the memory needs for this model or any suggestions on what to get? Thanks!

Memory has dropped in price lately... but to be sure you're getting the correct stuff, buy (or at least verify) it through some of the memory makers' websites... crucial.com, kingston.com, etc. The $50 price sounds about right for two 4GB sticks.

According to my quick research, you need two 4GB sticks of 204pin PC3-8500 SO DIMMs that run at 1066mHz. And the mid-2009 MacBook Pros maxed out at 8GB.

BTW, there's a great, free reference app in the Mac App Store (also iTunes App Store) called MacTracker - info on virtually every piece of hardware that Apple ever made. Every Mac user should have it installed on their machine for reference. There's some really interesting stuff in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: jclisenby

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Memory has dropped in price lately... but to be sure you're getting the correct stuff, buy (or at least verify) it through some of the memory makers' websites... crucial.com, kingston.com, etc. The $50 price sounds about right for two 4GB sticks.

According to my quick research, you need two 4GB sticks of 204pin PC3-8500 SO DIMMs that run at 1066mHz. And the mid-2009 MacBook Pros maxed out at 8GB.

BTW, there's a great, free reference app in the Mac App Store (also iTunes App Store) called MacTracker - info on virtually every piece of hardware that Apple ever made. Every Mac user should have it installed on their machine for reference. There's some really interesting stuff in there.

Thanks so much for your help!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased 8GB of Ram from Amazon for about $40 a few weeks back. It was from Crucial. Easy to install & worked like a charm. The $40-$50 price range is about right for 8GB of Ram.