Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Default Experienced Mac User Advice..Please!!

My friend is trying to sell me his MacBook for $350. I have always had a pc and am not very tech savy so can someone tell me if this is a bad deal, ok deal, or great deal at the going rate for a Mac. Here are the specs

2008 Apple MacBook 13" White Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2.0 GHZ, 1GB, 160 Gb Hard Drive, DVD Burner, Wi-fi, Camera, Mac Os 10.6 Snow Leopard and Ilife. Latest version of Microsoft Office also installed.

I attached a picture as well of it. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Experienced Mac User Advice..Please!!-5ia5k45fc3k33l43h8c4e57527ac338d81f9f.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    iOS Version

for $350 and no problems that sounds great. Mac or PC regardless I'd go by the specs. If they specs are suitable for ya I'd get it.

I've always been a pc user but finally purchased my first Mac in January. It did take some getting used to, but I love it. There are still things I want to read about more in depth, but for everyday use I got it all down.
    AT&T iPhone 5 16GB White iOS 7.0.3 - Sven
    17" Macbook Pro (late 2011) OS 10.9 Mavericks - Joffrey

mix1985 from Crackberry
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to upgrade the os on it. Lion is already almost a year old, and Mountain Lion is due to be released in the next few months. There are more and more programs that won't run on the older versions of the os, as well as things that simply won't work on it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    7,079 Global Posts

I have an 08 Macbook as well and I would pick this thing up in a heartbeat.

That is a killer deal, and I would definitely grab it.

You can easily upgrade the hard drive and memory in it for rather cheap and have a nice Mac for yourself!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

It's a great machine... and if it has no obvious issues, I'd go for it... but you have to understand, as Alli intimated, it's 4+ years old... which means it approaching end of life. Four years old is ancient by technology standards... then again, it's $350 for a Mac...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

$350? I am curious why the price is so low.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah