Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse

With the release of Lion imminent I am trying to decide what input device to get. I do use the bezier pen tool a lot in PhotoShop and Illustrator so I still need a mouse of some kind. Do I keep my existing Mighty Mouse and add the Magic Trackpad or just replace the existing mouse with the Magic Mouse?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by scoremann View Post
    With the release of Lion imminent I am trying to decide what input device to get. I do use the bezier pen tool a lot in PhotoShop and Illustrator so I still need a mouse of some kind. Do I keep my existing Mighty Mouse and add the Magic Trackpad or just replace the existing mouse with the Magic Mouse?
    I love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro... rarely use a mouse at all... but obviously, it's a personal decision. Since you already have a workable mouse, I'd say go for the trackpad... gestures are so easy, convenient and useful.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Nanite

Default Trackpad Heaven

I just got an iMac, my first Apple full computer (I have an iphone4 and ipad1). I use a mouse and Windoze 7 at work, writing m$.net web pages. I swore off rodents and got a Trackpad. Since, I have never even thought of needing a mouse, even a charmed one. It is more worth your $70 than the mouse. If you decide later you need a mouse, you can buy a wired one for less than $20. Take a chance...if you can't, wait for Windows 8, you will likely not be disappointed (or challenged).
    iPhone Newbie

Personally, I find the Magic Mouse a bit uncomfortable; I would go for the Magic Trackpad. Currently, I use the Logitech Performance Mouse MX which I really like because I find it comfortable and convenient with the customizable buttons.

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love the trackpad and rarely use the mouse
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

You will get A LOT more precision out of the mighty mouse than you will the trackpad, but like others have said, its a bit uncomfortable, especially if you're using it for long periods of time (IE: graphics work). The trackpad is amazing, but using it in illustrator can be a test of patience because it's simply not anywhere near as precise...i personally use a Logitech MX series, and found it to be WORLDS better than the mighty mouse for about the same price.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

No need for the magic mouse if you got a trackpad
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by iV1SHAL View Post
    No need for the magic mouse if you got a trackpad
    This is not true for graphic design...the track pad simply isn't up to par.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This is not true for graphic design...the track pad simply isn't up to par.
    Agree but you can get regular mouse for that. Spend on the trackpad.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Agree but you can get regular mouse for that. Spend on the trackpad.
    Honestly, you really can't...a cheap USB mouse will not offer the same kinds of setup features and controls that a more expensive one would, and given the content of the OP's post, i don't think the track pad is a good replacement for a feature packed mouse made for graphic design (or a tablet peripheral with a legitimate e-Pen at that).

Track pad is awesome, but for graphic artists...it is no replacement for a good mouse.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

I love my magic mouse, and it works well with Lion. I use it with my MacBook Pro that I have connected to an external monitor at work and at home.
    iPhone 4S 16GB (Black) | iPhone 4 16GB (Black) | iPhone 3GS 16GB (Black) | iPod Touch 4G (2010)| MacBook 13" Spring 2011 | iPad 3rd Gen (Black)
    @Caballeraz
    iPhone Intermediate

I love the Mouse. Can't live without it. The trackpad kind of drives me crazy.
    iPhone Newbie

Depends...what are you used to? I personally used the trackpad on my macbook (same thing as Magic Trackpad), and I don't plan on using a mouse anytime soon. Also, the trackpad is easier to do multitouch gestures on if you have that sort of problem. Finally, if you are a gamer, then you definitely can't live without a trackpad. So it all depends on your needs and problems.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0

I used both and for Adobe work mouse/trackpad. Trackpad is nice but using it permanently isn't for me.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yeah, mostly it's your preference on what you like, the magic mouse is more accurate but it won't include the lion gestures which really justify the purchase of the trackpad in my opinion. But for long uses like graphic design or gaming a mouse will definitely be more comfortable along with accurate. I'd say get the trackpad and a mouse on the side, but the magic mouse really isn't worth having too much

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5
    Ipad2 and Mac mini 2.5ghz Sandy bridge
    Apple Boy!
    iPhone Intermediate

I agree it's all about personal preference. It's funny because I'm reading the Jobs biography by Isaacson and they talk about revolutionary the mouse was and now so many people find it useless.
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~