Do contents of Dropbox and Onedrive folders take up disc space on Mac drive?

iLessMess

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
OSX seems to write more stuff than I'm aware onto the Mac drive. Thus I am constantly moving files to my Dropbox and OneDrive clouds, but....that doesn't seem to change the available space on the Mac drive, even after I've deleted the trash. Does OSX count files that are out on the Dropbox cloud against the Mac drive....? That would be odd....!

Anyone know?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes unfortunately, although Dropbox is testing a new feature that will allow you native access to your files that are stored on the cloud while using virtually no disk space. It's called project infinite. They just started testing internally so it may be a while before it reaches public testing.

iLessMess

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes unfortunately, although Dropbox is testing a new feature that will allow you native access to your files that are stored on the cloud while using virtually no disk space. It's called project infinite. They just started testing internally so it may be a while before it reaches public testing.

and:

If you've installed both apps on your Mac, then the answer is yes.

Thanks guys. To work around that bit of absurdity, can I remove the Dropbox and OneDrive apps and resign myself to simple browser window access until 'project infinite' shows up?

Does that make sense, or am I making my life ridiculously complicated in your opinions?

Oh....I just discovered that Apple wont' let me delete Dropbox and Onedrive. I assume first I de-link then trash the app, but how does one maintain browser access to one's Dropbox account, since after de-linking the computer, Dropbox demands you log back in through the browser......an action that sees Dropbox automatically re-installing the Dropbox app without asking.

Looks that my own conundrum's answer really is; either use Dropbox in full synch mode the way it was written or don't use Dropbox at all.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods