Terrible Internet

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been running the latest version of Yosemite since it came out. I use it on my non-Retina, 2015 MacBook Pro. A few weeks ago, the internet got really sketchy. The blue loading bar would get stuck about 1/10th of the way down the loading bar. It would stay like this forever and not load the page.

I thought it might be my internet provider, so I called them and they came out to the house to check it out. They couldn't see anything wrong, but replaced the modem nevertheless. Within an hour I noticed it happening again. I figured it wasn't the internet provider because it works fine on my Apple TV, PS4, iPhone, iPad, etc.

I had an issue before where, in Safari, I kept getting the beachball loading/frozen thing. I took it into the Apple Store and the guy did some reset on Safari where it came up like I had never used it before. I've tried clearing the cookies/cache/history, everything. No luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any Extensions, and I don't have any proxies or anything.

Mike Alessi

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Does the Macbook Pro work ok on other networks? Check your DNS settings in Sys Prefs > Network. Also may want to check hardwired over ethernet if you have an adapter. Also check out any plugins you have installed, and test in another browser.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't mention as to whether you are hardwired into your internet or via wi-fi. I know that there have been reports that Yosemite has severely buggered some users wi-fi connectivity, to which Apple did, eventually, send out a patch (sorry, 'upgrade'), but not sure that's done much.

For my part, my wi-fi connectivity / stability did drop off dramatically with the installation of Yosemite and has yet to improve in any substantive way. On wi-fi, my Mac Air's speed is about half of what it used to get (and still does get when hardwired), while other devices on the same wi-fi - including my lowly iPhone 4 - still gets the higher speed.

Not sure Apple has a grasp (or interest) in the problem, seemingly more interested in the interconnectivity between its devices/environment and the continuing Ive'ization of the OS over its actual functionality...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The WiFi issues are terrible, but some people report not having any problems on their macs. Maybe you can try to reinstall Yosemite? It's worth a shot and it shouldn't delete any of the information on your Mac currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Internet Connectivity Issue due to Sleep

...latest Yosemite ... replaces the new (in Yosemite) discoveryd networking process with the tried and true mdnsresponder networking process...

Since updating to 10.10.4, I am now experiencing internet connectivity issues (both LAN & WiFi) after putting my MBP to Sleep. Upon reawakening, I have to Restart in order to regain internet connectivity.

[Here's my gear: MBP i7 17" (Mid 2010) with 8GB RAM, updated 10.10.3 to 10.10.4. All systems working great under 10.10.3.]

Let me add for clarity that I use DNSCrypt to set my DNS settings to those provided by OpenDNS. ...I'm currently using DNSCrypt v1.0.7, which works as it should when I'm connected to the internet; and, v1.0.7 came out to be compatible with El Capitan. At present, I don't believe my internet connectivity issue is due to DNSCrypt as I've not had any issues with prior versions.

When previously using 10.10.3, or any prior Yosemite version, I had no problems with regaining my internet connectivity upon reactivating my MBP from Sleep.

When I updated my MBP to 10.10.4, I did so over my LAN connection. Update completed smoothly; however, my first indicator of an issue, was when I took a break, prior to updating iTunes, and put my MBP to Sleep. Upon reawakening, my Airport Utility confirmed my Network was active, but I was not getting internet connection through my Airport Extreme (4th Generation). I had to do a MBP Restart in order to regain my internet connection to my MBP.

I can confirm this issue is also the case with connecting my MBP to my Network via WiFi. However, when I do have my MBP connected by WiFi (I'm connected now by WiFi to my Network as I write this post), my connection is reliable and good (I get 50+ Mbps Down & 6+ Mbps Up on my Comcast internet).

[All my iOS devices - iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2 - were getting and continue getting good solid WiFi connections through my AE. These solid, iOS WiFi connections were solid before and continued after updating both my iOS devices to iOS 8.4.]

So, my issue is strictly related to putting my MBP to Sleep and then reawakening, resulting in not getting reliable, reconnection to the internet without having to do a Restart.

I believe the issue most likely rests with some networking corruption caused by the reintroduced use of mdnsresponder in 10.10.4. [Oddly enough, I never had any issues with discoveryd in prior versions of Yosemite.] Moreover, I did not have any issues with mdnsresponder in OS versions prior to Yosemite.

Since I don't see news posts, in Mac media sites like iMore, about this being a universal issue, any ideas about how to resolve this networking corruption (if it is that)?

Last edited:

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Internet Connectivity Issue due to Sleep

I'm happy to report a resolution to the internet connectivity issue I outlined in my prior post.

The solution came by completing the following Power Down / Activation sequence.

1. Shut Down network computer(s)
2. Power Down network Router by pulling AC plug
3. Power Down internet modem by pulling AC plug.
- Wait a full 5 minutes before proceeding to Step 4 -
4. Power Up modem and allow reconnection to settle (i.e., wait several minutes before next Step)
5. Power Up network Router and allow reconnection to settle
6. Restart network computer(s)

As I write this post, it has been been about 48 hours since I initiated the sequence outlined above. I have not had any reoccurrence of losing internet connection after a Sleep activation / reawakening cycle, whether the cycle was manually initiated or effected by Energy Saver (Sys Pref).

:cool:

pbGuy

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I completed the full sequence and in the order as outlined. So, there was more to it than singularly rebooting the modem.

The sequence, which was suggested to me at another Forum, has to to do with reestablishing, hand shaking synchronization between the network peripherals, when a connectivity issue is occurring.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I completed the full sequence and in the order as outlined. So, there was more to it than singularly rebooting the modem.

The sequence, which was suggested to me at another Forum, has to to do with reestablishing, hand shaking synchronization between the network peripherals, when a connectivity issue is occurring.

Actually, it's no different than rebooting your modem. If you search for instructions for rebooting your modem, what you listed as the "full sequence" is actually the correct way to do it. Power everything off and then restart in order the modem, the router and then the clients - allowing time between each step for the device to "settle in".

But thanks for sharing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2