Using Photos on OSX Yosemite vs Picasa
I've used Picasa for managing pictures all my life. I tried using the new Photos app published by Apple but found it too difficult to use. Specifically, my use case is this:
I have collected a lot of pictures over the years, and they are usually stored in the Pictures folder under different sub folders. When I open Picasa - it automatically recognizes those sub-folders into different albums. Once Picasa does that, I can sort / edit / delete / filter pictures in Picasa and the results are reflected in the folder (even deletions) which is very convenient. Can the Photos app do that? If not, what is the best way to use Photos when you have a lot of pre-existing pictures?
- 05-25-2015, 12:36 PM #2iMore Specialist
- 936 Posts
Re: Using Photos on OSX Yosemite vs Picasa
The Photos app (and iPhoto before it) don't rely on or preserve directory structure. They organize photos using libraries, tags and other meta data. It's a much more modern and powerful way to organize a photo library. It also allows for many of Photos better features like non-destructive edits. Still some people do rely on using a directory structure to organize photos, and if that's the case, you're better off sticking with Picasa or something similar.
- 05-30-2015, 11:47 PM #3iMore Nanite
- 1 Posts
Re: Using Photos on OSX Yosemite vs Picasa, is it possible?
I too would like to learn best practices for using a photo management tools for existing libraries. The development of a specific approach toward making a transition between the two systems would be helpful, to say the least. Sounds like an opportunity for a bright tech blogger to figure out how to create a bridge between old school and new tech and share it with the world. $$$
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM
- By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 05-25-2015, 09:29 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 05-25-2015, 08:38 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 05-25-2015, 05:49 AM