Longtime bug in OS X repeatedly asks me to install the same updates, what should I do?

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Longtime bug in OS X repeatedly asks me to install the same updates

I've been experiencing this since before Yosemite. I don't know why it's happening, but it's very irritating.

Perhaps one of you has experienced this, and even better, perhaps someone knows a work-around.

Here's an example. I've installed the "Pro Video Formats 2.0.1" update three times. And it's now asking me to install it again. What is happening with these updates? Where are they going? Are they leaving residual files behind since I have to do them multiple times?

updates.png

Any and all help will be appreciated! :yes:

-Rafagon

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Longtime bug in OS X repeatedly asks me to install the same updates

I am not experiencing anything like this with app updates. To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen that kind of behavior.

Have you checked the reviews in the MAS for that app? It might be a good place to check to see if other users are experiencing the same thing. Maybe you could post/update a review in the MAS identifying the issue to see if you get anyone else chiming in with similar experiences.

My gut reaction would be to delete the app from your Mac and then reinstall the software from the MAS. At the very least, it should install the latest version, not requiring any updates. Additionally, it may clear up whatever is causing this issue. I would suspect that there is some sort of issue with that particular app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Or, it could be the developer had multiple issues that needed fixes, and they really did do 4 updates under one version number...

bucksters

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site

Having the exact same problem with the Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update.

System Information is registering the install's, so I'm struggling to figure out why it's repeating.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Having the exact same problem with the Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update.

System Information is registering the install's, so I'm struggling to figure out why it's repeating.

I would strongly suggest that you and the OP both contact the developer for a clue to what's going on. It seems to be an issue with that one app.

bucksters

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site

It's an update from Apple, here is the solution that worked from me from the Apple Discussions Forum:

1) Move all files from /Library/QuickTime/ to a temp older on desktop
2) Open AppStore and download/install update
3) Reboot
4) Copy any missing files from temp folder on desktop to /Library/QuickTime.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all the help, folks. Bucksters is correct to say that it's an update from Apple. The developer is Apple. I've experienced this with multiple apps — this was just one example. Some indeed are from third parties, but very often it's an update from Apple either to OS X itself or to one of Apple's stock apps.

Buckster, I will try your suggestion … you're saying it came from the Apple Discussion forum? That's good news then… Hopefully Apple reads those so they are made aware of this issue with OS X App Store.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

I am not sure this is helpful information, but maybe reindexing your hard drive might help?

Kevin Harvell

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Did you find that fix worked for you? I'm having the same issue and wondering what is going on.

Also, do you happen to have Final Cut Pro installed? I thought maybe it would have something to do with it "Native import, edit, and share of MFX files with Final Cut Pro X and Motion".

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

The fix above works. I do also have FCPX, Compressor and Motion.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Reindexing the hard drive (one of the suggestions above) didn't work. I just finished trying Buckster's suggestion, and I'll report back to let you know if that one works.

*fingers crossed*

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

And welcome back to iMore, Rafagon! Visit often!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

TheExpat

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Wow, Glad I came across this post. I thought I was going nuts...lol I didn't notice this issue until I started upgrading OS's. I went from Snow Leopard , Lion, Mt Lion to Mavericks, to Yosemite, to El Capitan. All heck broke loose with my updates repeating and repeating. I got fed up and deleted EVERYTHING and installed Debian Linux.

The other day I stated from a clean install of Snow Leopard on an ole 09 Mac Mini which I upgraded to Mt Lion, then Mavericks... I'm seeing the same issue again in Mavericks... Apple updates (not third party that I have noticed) are trying to install repeatedly... I have to hide them once they install so they will quit bugging my to reinstall them.. Isn't Apple QC'ing their OS's? It would appear not... Did Apple hire Microsoft folks to QC the programs... Seems more like that company everyday sad to say... lol...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2