- iMore Nanite
- 1 Posts
Running parallels with bootcamp and file sharing
I am getting a Macbook Pro tomorrow but I need to be able to run windows on it. I am hoping to be able to run parallels most of the time, but be able to go into boot camp if I need more power. What I'm wondering about is if I can still do file sharing in this situation and what are the logistics of it (i.e. where files can be shared, are all file systems shared, etc.). If anyone could also explain to me how I would go about setting this up too that would be greatly appreciated.
- 02-08-2015, 10:59 PM #2iMore Specialist
- 1,356 Posts
Re: Running parallels with bootcamp and file sharing
Use Boot Camp Assistant to partition your hard drive and install Windows onto the new partition.
Choose to make a Virtual Machine based on your Boot Camp partition.
Shut down the VM before booting over to Boot Camp.
When in Parallels, your Mac's Finder will see Boot Camp as a separate drive. The VM will see your Mac as a separate drive. Both will be able to access each other. When you close Parallels, you won't be able to access the other drive. When in the Boot Camp partition, you won't be able to access your Mac drive.
- By vijeeshtvm in forum iPhone Apps & GamesReplies: 3Last Post: 02-13-2015, 11:09 PM
- By MRSBROWN2006 in forum iPad mini 3Replies: 2Last Post: 02-08-2015, 08:18 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 4Last Post: 02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-08-2015, 01:05 PM