Yosemite lags

isaac3232

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Installed OS X Yosemite on my MacBook retina 13 that I bought 2 y ago and it's very laggy!!! Almost everything lags ,is there a solution? Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Could you give a lowdown on the specs on your machine? It would help paint a better picture on the hardware the OS is running on.

isaac3232

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
db0cf671de18d6c65d36b4f0d94b3cf9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Before resetting I'd run Activity Monitor and look at the CPU, Memory, Energy, Disk and Network options to see what applications or processes are consuming the most resources.

That may help pinpoint what app(s), or process(s) are contributing to the lag. System Diagnostics can also be launched from Activity Monitor. The diagnostics may help Apple Support catch something if there is a system problem. If it turns out there is a hardware problem or lower level firmware issue, then a full back and reset may not help since the problem could reappear after restoring data.

Also, using the much referenced but valid option - if you are under Apple Care - then call in to Apple Support, or setup an appointment at an Apple Store if that is an option for you.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My MacBook Pro is far older and less powerful, and runs Yosemite pretty smoothly.

As others mentioned, run Activity Monitor and check out what is eating CPU usage and memory/Ram.

Also, if you didn't run Disk Utility before upgrading to Yosemite, run it now. Verify your Disc and Disc Permissions to check for any errors... and if any are found, click Repair Disc and/or Disc Permissions.