Can you help me with a Java Error I'm getting when trying to run Tux Guitar with Yosemite?

dirtbiker0025

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
So after installing Yosemite i tired to run tux guitar and it said i need to install java which i already had done earlier. I found that 7 is not supported so updated to 8u25 but i still can not open tux guitar I keep getting an error saying I need to install jre. any help would be greatly appreciated

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can only *assume* that another update is needed to get it to work properly with OS X Yosemite, but I'm only guessing.

dirtbiker0025

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
thanks lol I'm hoping your right, i was reading in the apple support forums that other pop;e who use adobe cs5 where having the same problem and they had to install java 2014-001 but i don't want to install an outdated java component.

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
You might be able to fool the app into running with Java 7/8 assuming it supports 64-bit mode with some symbolic links. This requires the Terminal be used.

stick2it

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
You updated to the right version but you probably downloaded the Java Runtime Edition (JRE). I did that as well and Tuxguitar does not work with OS X Yosemite and the JRE at this time. To resolve your Tuxguitar issue, download and install the Java Developer's Kit (JDK) instead. It is a simple install also.

Chris Koontz1

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I do not want to buy Guitar Pro 6 because it doesn't run the power tab files I have. Or at least that is what I heard. I like tux guitar and would like to stick with it since I'm familiar with it. I need to know how to get tux guitar to work in the new yosemite for MAC. Please help. What I would really appreciate is if someone would try it themselves and then once they get it to work please advise me on what to do to make it function. Thank you.

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this problem also. I do not want to buy Guitar Pro 6 because it doesn't run the power tab files I have. Or at least that is what I heard. I like tux guitar and would like to stick with it since I'm familiar with it. I need to know how to get tux guitar to work in the new yosemite for MAC. Please help. What I would really appreciate is if someone would try it themselves and then once they get it to work please advise me on what to do to make it function. Thank you.
It looks like Tux Guitar requires the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. Go grab Java for OS X 2004-001, install it, and try again.

squeakvl

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with tuxguitar 1.2 on os x 10.10 and java 1.8.

Here's what I did to fix it without downgrading java.

1.Download and install the legacy java 6 runtime. I don't have enough reputation on this board to post a link. Search for "Java for OS X 2015-001" and go to the apple support link.

2. Open the executable in a text editor
/Applications/Tuxguitar.app/Contents/MacOS/tuxguitar

3. Change the following line from
exec java ${VM_ARGS} ${SWT_ARGS} -cp :${CLASSPATH} -Djava.library.path="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" ${MAINCLASS} "$1" "$2"
# to
exec $(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6)/bin/java -d32 ${VM_ARGS} ${SWT_ARGS} -cp :${CLASSPATH} -Djava.library.path="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" ${MAINCLASS} "$1" "$2"

4. Save the file.

5. Start tuxguitar!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711