Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,828 Global Posts

Default Yosemite Developer Preview 7 out - discuss issues/workarounds/discoveries here

Happy updating!!
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,828 Global Posts

Default Re: Yosemite Developer Preview 7 out - discuss issues/workarounds/discoveries here

Seeing on Twitter that 'dark mode' is fixed, and there's new preferences icons...
    Rafagon likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

Default Re: Yosemite Developer Preview 7 out - discuss issues/workarounds/discoveries here

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Seeing on Twitter that 'dark mode' is fixed, and there's new preferences icons...
    Downloading now... thanks!
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,977 Global Posts

Downloading now, longest 7 minutes ever! lol
    Rafagon likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,977 Global Posts

Wow, so much faster! ... Overall the system is much more responsive, and calling out via the contacts app (through iPhone handoff) is actually working now. Love that I can type a url into the browser without any delays. I haven't found any issues yet. Loving this build!
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    Wow, so much faster! ... Overall the system is much more responsive, and calling out via the contacts app (through iPhone handoff) is actually working now. Love that I can type a url into the browser without any delays. I haven't found any issues yet. Loving this build!
    Good to hear... hope they do a release for the Public Beta soon...
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,977 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Good to hear... hope they do a release for the Public Beta soon...
    Me too, it is a very dramatic improvement in speed of the OS. I was noticing that my computer felt a little slower than my wife's who is running mavericks. With this update it feels hmmm, I would say 25% faster with animations etc. Loving it!
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

Anybody rocking this on their daily driver? I have it on an older (2010) MacBook, but still a bit reluctant to make the jump on my new MBA.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    Anybody rocking this on their daily driver? I have it on an older (2010) MacBook, but still a bit reluctant to make the jump on my new MBA.
    I've been running all the betas so far on my daily driver. Shouldn't, I know, but I also know the risks. Anyway, I've been ok so far except for intermittent wifi drops.
    Will install beta 7 when I get home.
    mbar9607 likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,474 Global Posts

i have it on my daily driver and only issue ive had was with bluetooth but since beta7 it seems to be fixed

I have been using it on my daily driver. iMac mid 2010. Noticed it got more and more sluggish as I updated but my ram was only 4gigs. I upgraded the ram to 12gigs and it's so much faster.

just finished install= seems good- the last beta every time I restarted the finder program would go wonky- had to relaunch a few times to get it to stop- that didn't happen with this one.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

I did the deed. Thanks for the input. As I said, I’ve been running it on an older MacBook. When I upgraded my rMBP, I noticed a couple of things. First, it wanted to encrypt my hard drive. My first thought was no thanks - using developer preview/beta software to encrypt your disk seems like taking an unnecessary risk. I can go back and encrypt it later. The second thing is that almost all of my Mail rules are gone. That pi$$ed me off, but it’s not something that would be a "show stopper". It just made more work for me. Grrrr.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,565 Global Posts

I have since preview 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

I did the update this afternoon on my rMBP, and am having a couple of issues. I cannot get any of the handoff or continuity to work. On my MB, I can get text messages that are not iMessage based. But I cannot get this to work on the rMBP. The same with phone calls. The iMessages Preference screens and screen contents are identical between the two machines.

None of the app handoff is working either, but I’ve seen conflicting reports that it may/may not work based on the fact that we are now on DP7, but iOS 8 is beta 5. At one point handoff required matching release levels. Not sure, though, since there’s no beta 6 or 7. Does handoff work for anyone?
    Last edited by HankAZ; 09-03-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    prerakpatel likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Anyone else having problems storing data to external SSD drive connected via USB? When I drag a file to the USB drive it crashes Finder.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

After trying out an OS X beta several years ago on my main machine, I could not agree with you more. Not being a developer, I signed up for the public beta test program when they announced it, just to get my name in line in case I decided to do it. But when I got the e-mail I felt no desire to jump on the "opportunity." I didn't do install it on either my desktop or my MBA (which I also use regularly, so it's basically a second main machine). Kinda glad I didn't install it, especially as Apple decided not to give their public beta testers the same love they've given to their developer testers (what is it, seven releases to payed devs vs. only two to beta seed folks? Not that I'm keeping score...)
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rafagon View Post
    After trying out an OS X beta several years ago on my main machine, I could not agree with you more. Not being a developer, I signed up for the public beta test program when they announced it, just to get my name in line in case I decided to do it. But when I got the e-mail I felt no desire to jump on the "opportunity." I didn't do install it on either my desktop or my MBA (which I also use regularly, so it's basically a second main machine). Kinda glad I didn't install it, especially as Apple decided not to give their public beta testers the same love they've given to their developer testers (what is it, seven releases to payed devs vs. only two to beta seed folks? Not that I'm keeping score...)
    There’s a very good reason for that lack of "love" from Apple. Public beta has to be more stable, as it’s made available to all comers who want it. The Developer Preview have a specific purpose - to provide developers with a working version for their use in developing and testing their apps. It’s also a safe bet that "developers" are much more tech savvy than the average consumer who simply want the latest/greatest early. When things go wrong, developers tend to be more technically capable of sorting out issues and getting their systems up and running again.

The whole Public Beta thing is new. Apple has only done one public beta in the past - and it was (1) a paid program and (2) a very long time ago.

It is what it is. No need to feel unloved by Apple. They are just trying to protect your experience.

And FWIW, I did to the upgrade on my rMBP. After a couple of issues, it’s running well - smooth and stable.
    Rafagon likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,977 Global Posts

Handoff is working properly for me.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,819 Global Posts

Still having issues remembering passwords on SSL websites. Problem since beta 1.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

Is anyone else experiencing the disappearing Notification Center icon?

If I haven’t accessed NC for a period of time, the icon disappears from the Menu Bar. If I click on the space where the icon is (supposed to be), it opens NC, and the icon is restored for a period of time... until it disappears again.

Attachment 63965 Attachment 63966
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Is anyone else experiencing the disappearing Notification Center icon?

If I havent accessed NC for a period of time, the icon disappears from the Menu Bar. If I click on the space where the icon is (supposed to be), it opens NC, and the icon is restored for a period of time... until it disappears again.

Attachment 63965 Attachment 63966
    I keep mine hidden with Bartender anyway. So I haven't noticed.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    755 Global Posts

Most things seem much snappier than the previous DP, however, iTunes 12 is leaking memory like MAD since DP 7:

Yosemite Developer Preview 7 out - discuss issues/workarounds/discoveries here-screen-shot-2014-09-05-3.49.48-pm.png

EDIT: Seems it might be related to the "Recently Added" section. Periodically the window refreshes, and then memory usage spikes shortly after. Will continue to monitor / test.
    Last edited by Blue Shift; 09-05-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I've been running all the betas so far on my daily driver. Shouldn't, I know, but I also know the risks. Anyway, I've been ok so far except for intermittent wifi drops.
    Will install beta 7 when I get home.
    Can you describe the wifi dropout issue? I did the update and now I see the "you are not connected to the internet" message popping up a lot. The quickest fix that I have found is to turn wifi off and then back on, but it’s a major PITA. For some reason it seems to be more prevalent when I am connected to the 802.11ac Time Capsule router. If I go into another room where I connect with an older Airport Extreme-N router it doesn’t seem to drop - at least not nearly as often.

Is that the same issue?

Wondering if it’s something to do with the 802.11ac connection and if there’s a way to force it to wifi N.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Can you describe the wifi dropout issue? I did the update and now I see the "you are not connected to the internet" message popping up a lot. The quickest fix that I have found is to turn wifi off and then back on, but its a major PITA. For some reason it seems to be more prevalent when I am connected to the 802.11ac Time Capsule router. If I go into another room where I connect with an older Airport Extreme-N router it doesnt seem to drop - at least not nearly as often.

Is that the same issue?

Wondering if its something to do with the 802.11ac connection and if theres a way to force it to wifi N.
    Well I'm only connecting to an AirPort Extreme-N. But yes. Similar to what you describe. Stuff will stop working and I look at my menu bar and the wifi icon is grayed out. Then turning off/on is required. I've had this issue with all the Yosemite betas. I've filed several radars about it with the network diagnostic log attached and they keep getting closed as a duplicate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast