iTunes won't launch and my iPhone is stuck in recovery mode. Can you help me?

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As the title says iTunes will not launch, and my phone is in recovery mode... contacted apple support and they say they can't help because theres no support for Yosemite... can someone help me? I'm on the latest beta of OS and the last iTunes

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi John

Do you have access to another computer? A friend or family member maybe?

If you're in Recovery Mode you either need to get access to the latest version of iTunes to get it working again or possibly get an application called TinyUmbrella which has the option to kick your phone out of Recovery.

Please do research it first and know that with anything like this, you are shouldering all responsibility. I have not used TinyUmbrella before as I have not had need to but others have reported it works quite happily provided you follow all instructions carefully and don't fiddle with it past asking it to do what you need it to do to exit Recovery Mode. If this doesn't work, it's iTunes or nothing I believe.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As the title says iTunes will not launch, and my phone is in recovery mode... contacted apple support and they say they can't help because theres no support for Yosemite... can someone help me? I'm on the latest beta of OS and the last iTunes

In regard to iTunes, I suggest you do one or both of the following:

1. Reboot your Mac. (If iTunes still doesn't launch then go to step 2)
2. Uninstall and then reinstall the latest version of iTunes

One of the above should get iTunes to launch. Once it does, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB, and when iTunes recognizes it in recovery mode, select to restore it.

Alternatively, you can try pressing both the power and home buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple logo, then wait to see if the device will boot to its home screen. If not, you will have to restore it via iTunes.

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
In regard to iTunes, I suggest you do one or both of the following:

1. Reboot your Mac. (If iTunes still doesn't launch then go to step 2)
2. Uninstall and then reinstall the latest version of iTunes

One of the above should get iTunes to launch. Once it does, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB, and when iTunes recognizes it in recovery mode, select to restore it.

Alternatively, you can try pressing both the power and home buttons simultaneously until you see the Apple logo, then wait to see if the device will boot to its home screen. If not, you will have to restore it via iTunes.

Hi there, Figured out what happened.

iTunes 12.0.0.97 WILL NOT launch if it sees any device in recovery mode.
iTunes will launch as normal and when you plug in the recovery mode device, iTunes crashes immediately.
For some reason with the beta of Yosemite, you are unable to uninstall iTunes.

I ended up going to the apple store and having them do the recovery mode restore. Plugged my iPhone into my MBP and now its fine with iTunes.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, Figured out what happened.

iTunes 12.0.0.97 WILL NOT launch if it sees any device in recovery mode.
iTunes will launch as normal and when you plug in the recovery mode device, iTunes crashes immediately.
For some reason with the beta of Yosemite, you are unable to uninstall iTunes.

I ended up going to the apple store and having them do the recovery mode restore. Plugged my iPhone into my MBP and now its fine with iTunes.

Great. I'm glad the people at the Apple Store was able to fix things for you. Thanks for the update, and enjoy the rest of your weekend...:)

Morkie

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Just came across the thread and it solved my problem.

Yosemite indeed does crash when you plug in a recovery mode phone. So the Gold Master for IOS 8 is available but the newest iTunes freaks out and you get into a loop.

You can actually uninstall iTunes 12 from Yosemite (I used App Zapper) and download the newest non beta v11 from apple.com of itunes.

Then it'll detect the phone and you can Option+Restore and pick the ipsw file to restore it, or simply hit restore if you aren't using a beta.

I hope that helps!

(App Store will upgrade your itunes after if you like).

- Frank

zebonaut smith

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I used AppZapper to uninstall itunes 12. Then I downloaded itunes 11; (it won't open) which prompted the itunes 12 update in the App Store . The new freshly installed itunes 12 will detect the iPad in recovery mode.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Install and open Xcode beta 6. It will make everything work. Of course, y’all are developers and already have/can install Xcode, right? :rolleyes:

Jeongchan Lee

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Try something called ReiBoot. Search it on Google and you will get it.
my iPad was stuck on recovery mode(iOS 8) and iTunes was crashing on Yosemite, but by using this, I finally kicked it out of recovery mode.

ZaCharee00

Banned
May 9, 2015
Visit site
iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode, all I know is to hold the power button for 2 seconds, continue holding the power button but also hold down the home screen button for another 10 seconds, then let go of the power button but continue holding down the home button for another 15 seconds. Ensure you count the seconds correctly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox