The Yosemite Public Beta is LIVE! Go get it.

Loren Sims

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I signed up for the public beta program just after they announced it. Then, after hearing all the warnings about not installing it on you main machine and making sure you have really good backups, etc., etc., I decided I would probably pass.

The public beta was released last week and I decided to go for it. This is my only modern Mac (mid-2012 MacBook Pro), this is my primary machine, I have a few things backed up, but I don't have a spare drive, or a 'second machine.'

My fallback position is my bootable USB drive with the original Mavericks installer on it.

I'm NOT worried about data loss from Apple. Windows will do that (and has done that to me) at the drop of a hat, but not Apple. If I have to reinstall Mavericks or even reformat my drive, oh well, but I don't expect Apple to ever require that.

This new OS is a dream! I've already submitted over half-a-dozen 'bug reports,' but there are no show-stoppers. With this AND the public beta of Xcode 6 I have everything I could ever want. I'll sign up for a paid developer account Later!

jordb22

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
HandOff doesn't work on my macbook but I knew it wasn't going to because of its age. But I can put iOS 8 on my iPhone and I was wondering has anyone been able to have SMS work and if ur phones on 8 how do u get it to communicate with the computer?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I would love to try this out, but it would be on my main machine which I and my wife often use for my business. Think I might just wait for the public release.

Loren Sims

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't expect HandOff to work just yet, but I'm delighted to find that I can now easily AirDrop from my Mac to my iPad. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
iTunes is extremely buggy. Some of my movies bring out the beach ball pretty consistently. Bluetooth is also buggy. I have Parrot Zik headphones that have to be removed and repaired every time my MacBook wakes. Office 2011 email is pretty much a crash fest.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I would love to try this out, but it would be on my main machine which I and my wife often use for my business. Think I might just wait for the public release.
Good idea. Betas should not be installed on a mission critical device without a whole lot of consideration before doing so.

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have a spare drive knocking about, so I did a cardinal sin and upgraded without doing a back-up ......... all went fine though and really enjoying Yosemite so far. A few very minor quirks here and there, but all my apps are working and things seem to be running pretty smoothly.