Best Way To Install OS X Yosemite Public Beta?

jordb22

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully tomorrow with the release of the Public Beta I'll get a beautiful redemption code :)

I tend not to play with Betas on my Mac but I now have a spare MacBook and plan to test it on that machine. I was wondering if someone could help by explaining the best way I should install the Public Beta of Yosemite?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully tomorrow with the release of the Public Beta I'll get a beautiful redemption code :)

I tend not to play with Betas on my Mac but I now have a spare MacBook and plan to test it on that machine. I was wondering if someone could help by explaining the best way I should install the Public Beta of Yosemite?

If you are part of the program, it will show up as a software update in iTunes. That's the only way to get it as far as I know.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I would expect it to work as it does for the Apple Seed program. For the Apple Seed, you get an email with a link to the Apple Seed site. You will need to log in and once there, you will see an installer .pkg file. You install that file and it registers you in the program. Once that .pkg file is loaded, you will see the Yosemite update in the Software Update / Mac App Store > Updates tab.

I would strongly recommend that you make a full, good backup of your system before your do the initial install. You may never need it, but better safe than sorry.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I would expect it to work as it does for the Apple Seed program. For the Apple Seed, you get an email with a link to the Apple Seed site. You will need to log in and once there, you will see an installer .pkg file. You install that file and it registers you in the program. Once that .pkg file is loaded, you will see the Yosemite update in the Software Update / Mac App Store > Updates tab.

I would strongly recommend that you make a full, good backup of your system before your do the initial install. You may never need it, but better safe than sorry.

That's not how it was/is for me.... After I signed up, all the beta software has been in the App Store just like if it were public release software.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's not how it was/is for me.... After I signed up, all the beta software has been in the App Store just like if it were public release software.

This is the first public beta of OS X in a very long time. They do the Apple Seed program with each iteration, so I expect it to go that way. I could be wrong. (Would NOT be the first time.)

And as an iOS developer, we did get an iTunes redemption code for the Mac App Store. So you could be right. I guess we’ll know in about 15 hours or so. :)

jordb22

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of how should I install it meaning should I erase my computer back to a fresh copy of Mavericks before installing?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of how should I install it meaning should I erase my computer back to a fresh copy of Mavericks before installing?

Make a cloned copy of your hard drive (SuperDuper is the tool I use). Better safe than sorry. Once you have a cloned copy, you can just install Yosemite over the Mavericks image. To do differently means having to set everything up again from scratch.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I created a partition for Yosemite. I'm not the only one who uses the Mac, so running both works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you don't have anything important on your backup mac and don't care about any data on it I would recommend installing a clean version of Yosemite - don't know how AAPL is going to provide the access.

Once the installation process begins you should have access to disk utility to erase the current drive and install a fresh copy of the new OS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods