Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HankAZ
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Best Way To Install OS X Yosemite Public Beta?

Hopefully tomorrow with the release of the Public Beta I'll get a beautiful redemption code

I tend not to play with Betas on my Mac but I now have a spare MacBook and plan to test it on that machine. I was wondering if someone could help by explaining the best way I should install the Public Beta of Yosemite?

THANKS
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,530 Global Posts

Default Re: Best Way To Install OS X Yosemite Public Beta?

Quote Originally Posted by jordb22 View Post
    Hopefully tomorrow with the release of the Public Beta I'll get a beautiful redemption code

I tend not to play with Betas on my Mac but I now have a spare MacBook and plan to test it on that machine. I was wondering if someone could help by explaining the best way I should install the Public Beta of Yosemite?

THANKS
    If you are part of the program, it will show up as a software update in iTunes. That's the only way to get it as far as I know.

Global Posts
    7,864 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Just redeem the code in the Mac AppStore and it will download the installation file which should automatically run after the download is finished. Similar to how the Mavericks and mountain lion installs worked.
    iMore Elite

THANKS
    I would expect it to work as it does for the Apple Seed program. For the Apple Seed, you get an email with a link to the Apple Seed site. You will need to log in and once there, you will see an installer .pkg file. You install that file and it registers you in the program. Once that .pkg file is loaded, you will see the Yosemite update in the Software Update / Mac App Store > Updates tab.

I would strongly recommend that you make a full, good backup of your system before your do the initial install. You may never need it, but better safe than sorry.
    My Daily Drivers: iPhone: MGAU2LLMacs: MC976LL, MC516LL, MD387LLiPad: MGTX2LL
    Freelance Curmudgeon. I run with scissors.
    taz323 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,530 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    I would expect it to work as it does for the Apple Seed program. For the Apple Seed, you get an email with a link to the Apple Seed site. You will need to log in and once there, you will see an installer .pkg file. You install that file and it registers you in the program. Once that .pkg file is loaded, you will see the Yosemite update in the Software Update / Mac App Store > Updates tab.

I would strongly recommend that you make a full, good backup of your system before your do the initial install. You may never need it, but better safe than sorry.
    That's not how it was/is for me.... After I signed up, all the beta software has been in the App Store just like if it were public release software.
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    That's not how it was/is for me.... After I signed up, all the beta software has been in the App Store just like if it were public release software.
    This is the first public beta of OS X in a very long time. They do the Apple Seed program with each iteration, so I expect it to go that way. I could be wrong. (Would NOT be the first time.)

And as an iOS developer, we did get an iTunes redemption code for the Mac App Store. So you could be right. I guess we’ll know in about 15 hours or so.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

I was thinking more along the lines of how should I install it meaning should I erase my computer back to a fresh copy of Mavericks before installing?
    iMore Elite

I was thinking more along the lines of how should I install it meaning should I erase my computer back to a fresh copy of Mavericks before installing?
    Make a cloned copy of your hard drive (SuperDuper is the tool I use). Better safe than sorry. Once you have a cloned copy, you can just install Yosemite over the Mavericks image. To do differently means having to set everything up again from scratch.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5

I created a partition for Yosemite. I'm not the only one who uses the Mac, so running both works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Assuming you don't have anything important on your backup mac and don't care about any data on it I would recommend installing a clean version of Yosemite - don't know how AAPL is going to provide the access.

Once the installation process begins you should have access to disk utility to erase the current drive and install a fresh copy of the new OS.

Global Posts
    12,142 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates