Yosemite DP 3 has been released.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
How is it? Did they get the phone call feature to work?

It seems to be more stable. I was having an issue with wifi being wonky - signal strength showed irregular pattern (see below) but that’s much better. And over the past 4-5 days I was seeing crashes - would open the computer up to see the "this computer was restarted due to a problem" screen - not seen that at all yet since the upgrade.

View attachment 60231

Can't speak to the phone call feature, as I’m running it on an older MB (2010 unibody) with BT 2.1, so no connectivity/handoff features work with it (yet). Hopeful for some sort of workaround for older machines which was rumored.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My call/text feature is working flawlessly so far. I'm able to message my fianc? from my macbook who has a note 3 and call him as well from my contact list. Everything's looking good so far on this side.

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that AirDrop works better between Mac and iOS devices. The dark theme is now available in Settings.

Not yet able to use Continuity features as I'm not yet using an iOS 8 Beta :(

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to take the plunge and try beta 3 ... Downloading now, hopefully it has fixed the major issues of Beta 2 for me (Wifi connectivity)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I am going to take the plunge and try beta 3 ... Downloading now, hopefully it has fixed the major issues of Beta 2 for me (Wifi connectivity)

It has. See my post above with the time line graph of DP2 and wifi connectivity. DP3 now show a nice, straight line showing no wifi wonkiness. Much, much better that DP2.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
DP3 is much more stable than DP2 for me .. They have made some great progress. I love that phone calls are now working on my Mac, interesting that they built it into FaceTime however it does seem to be working.

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I also love the fact that phone calls are coming through on my mac. I believe this will be a useful feature for sure. One thing I have noticed though, is that I can be at work and receive a call on my phone while at work and when I get home my Mac is ringing. It appears to be ringing with the last call I received while at work, but doesn't seem to sync properly with me ending the phone call on my phone.

Last edited:

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on whether DP3 is stable enough for use on my everyday laptop? Many reports I've read said that is now okay/recommended to download although ios 8 beta should still be avoided.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on whether DP3 is stable enough for use on my everyday laptop? Many reports I've read said that is now okay/recommended to download although ios 8 beta should still be avoided.

Not sure where you’re reading this. Yosemite is fairly stable, but Apple still cooking it. So just because DP3 is ok, that doesn’t mean that something won’t go wrong down the line. I’ve seen that kind of thing more with iOS than OS X, but it could happen. As long as you fully understand the risks and can work through any issues, there’s probably not a lot of reason to not do it. But it IS beta software, so there’s that caveat to consider, as well.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed a couple of things about DP3.

First, the option for Handoff is missing from my 2010 MacBook. That computer has BT 2.1 (NOT BT 4.0/LE), which means that the Handoff function will not work, at least not according to the reports I’ve read. Removing the setting (Preferences > General > Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices) seems to be a good move to eliminate confusion about why the Handoff feature isn't working.

Second, I just got a voice call from a landline and the FaceTime app launched and was ringing. I didn’t realize what was happening until I had already answered the call on my phone, but even without BT 4.0/LE, the ability to take calls on your Mac appears to be working.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Overall I am very pleased with Beta 3 ... Looking very forward to Beta 4 ... My machine is very stable, not all the new features are working well yet however being able to send a SMS when my iPhone is on the same network has been the biggest bonus!

jordb22

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Second, I just got a voice call from a landline and the FaceTime app launched and was ringing. I didn’t realize what was happening until I had already answered the call on my phone, but even without BT 4.0/LE, the ability to take calls on your Mac appears to be working.

I believe the SMS and Phone calling feature just need the devices to be on the same wifi. On apples website it says "they just have to be on the same Wi‑Fi network" and it doesn't mention anything about BT4/LE so I was hoping it doesn't require BT4 for those features.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that while I am tethered to my iOS 8 iPhone 5S I cannot send or receive iMessages from my mac. Hope they make this feature work in the near future.

timothyjones

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Same issue with 2010 MacBook Pro on Yosemite. The Allow Handoff option was there and when I updated again it is gone. What bothers me is it seems to affect AirDrop as well. Which I've really been looking forward to having between iOS 8 and OS X.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro