- iMore Nanite
- 2 Posts
My iMac at work keeps dropping connection to work servers
iMac Operating system: 10.9.5
I use the finder to connect to the server that has the documents I need to work on. Throughout the day, I drop connection to that server. We have several iMacs (different aged machines) on our network, mine is the ONLY one that does this. My iMac is 1 year old, however my old mac pro was doing the same thing (which is why they bought me a newer mac).
IT has checked out my ports, cables. Everything is working. My settings are no different than my coworkers who do not drop server connection. This is getting worse and it is maddening.
I am a graphic artist, I work mainly in InDesign (which I know can have it's own issues) but I drop connection to the company servers even when I don't have any Adobe programs open. I do not drop connection to the internet (I have an Ethernet cable, not using wifi). Have tried unchecking the "wake upon network access" box - made no difference. Have tried connecting to the servers needed as "Cifs" instead of "Smb"...no difference. My IT department is stumped.
- 08-24-2015, 04:34 PM #2
- 08-24-2015, 05:00 PM #4
- 08-25-2015, 06:34 AM #5iMore Expert
- 930 Posts
Re: My iMac at work keeps dropping connection to work servers
Your IT team could run WireShark to see where there may be network connection problem(s) somewhere along the path. They'd need to run it from a Windows system that's connected to your same Ethernet port/cable, and try to connect to the same file share/server (albeit with SMB).
They could also check the server to see if there are any clues in the server's error logs that might point to a problem. That may help rule out your Mac or OS X as being part of the problem at the network level.
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM
- By Eight Ball in forum iPhone 5cReplies: 5Last Post: 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 08-24-2015, 02:12 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM