Mavericks boots into disk utilities

isaac3232

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
OS X mavericks suddenly *boots into OS X utility screen,
i have LOTS of important data on my macintosh hd that was NOT backed up at all (not even time machine).
first of all i really need all this data,I'm a doctor and a lot of really important data is there.
what i did so far is trying fixing the HD via disk utility but not working, i also got a 1TB ex HD and clicked on "new image" on my macintosh hd and cloned it all (320 GB) to the ex HD in read/write option that after several hours was completed now i got a DMG file of my macintosh hd.
i tried opening it from my ex hd on another mac but it said that it can't be mounted.
can someone please help me restore this data somehow? maybe a some sort of way to open this huge DMG file in another comp?
if not maybe in some other way?
i really need your help,
thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you get your Mac in recovery mode by pressing the Command + R key during startup? Afterwards, select Disk Utility and then the MacIntosh HD, and then select to repair it. Hopefully, that'll work for you, but I cannot guarantee that it will and I cannot "guarantee" that you will not lose your data.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
OS X mavericks suddenly *boots into OS X utility screen,
i have LOTS of important data on my macintosh hd that was NOT backed up at all (not even time machine).
first of all i really need all this data,I'm a doctor and a lot of really important data is there.
what i did so far is trying fixing the HD via disk utility but not working, i also got a 1TB ex HD and clicked on "new image" on my macintosh hd and cloned it all (320 GB) to the ex HD in read/write option that after several hours was completed now i got a DMG file of my macintosh hd.
i tried opening it from my ex hd on another mac but it said that it can't be mounted.
can someone please help me restore this data somehow? maybe a some sort of way to open this huge DMG file in another comp?
if not maybe in some other way?
i really need your help,
thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have access to another (compatible) Mac you can try using Target Disk Mode to recover your data.

OS X Mavericks: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this will help you mount the DMG.
I had a situation where a external HD wouldn't mount but I was able to through terminal.

Mounting a Disk Image File (DMG) from the Terminal

From the command line use the following syntax to mount the image:

hdiutil attach /path/to/diskimage.dmg

When the .dmg is mounted, a message will display something like this:

/dev/disk1 Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk1s1 Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk1s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Mounted Disk Image

Take note of the last entry with the name of the just mounted disk image, you will use the first part of this line to unmount the disk (/dev/disk1s2).

Unmounting a DMG from the Terminal

Recalling that the device name of the mounted image, use the following syntax to unmount the dmg:

hdiutil detach /dev/disk1s2

If you missed the device location earlier, you can retrieve information on all mounted drives and images by using:

hdiutil info

Locate the name of the mounted image and note the /dev/disk entry alongside of it.

The hdiutil tool works to mount .iso and other image files as well as being able to convert them to other disk image formats.

- See more at: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/17/mount-a-dmg-from-the-command-line-in-mac-os-x/#sthash.i9LO2KmW.dpuf

Julie Waters

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm having a similar situation. I went onto my MacBook Pro (2011) and it said to update. I had Mavericks on it. But after it updated all the sudden it will only boot into the utility screen and I've tried the repair process, I can't use Time Machine because it says I didn't have anything backed up even though I did. It says the drive is not mounted. I really don't know a lot about computers but if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77