How to reinstall OS X Mavericks to re-sell Macbook Pro?

antheauxny

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I did see the thread on how to reinstall the OS. But, I read that it keeps your files. I'm wanting to completely wipe my Macbook Pro so I can sell it (going back to Windows because I'm doing a work at home job that requires Windows). I've already put all the files I need on various USBs/SD Cards (music, pictures, and some documents) so all I need to do now is erase everything and install a fresh copy of Mavericks. How do I go about doing so? I don't wanna mess anything up...lol. Any help would be great, thanks!

Edit: I have also heard you cannot sell any Mac that's been upgraded to Mavericks due to licensing? I heard you have to install the version that it came with originally. I bought this Macbook off of eBay last summer, but it did not come with any disks or anything. How would I go about selling it with Mavericks without any of my personal info being on it?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
To do a clean install of OS X Mavericks, you'll need a blank USB flash drive that is at least 8GB in size. You'll be using this drive completely for OS X Mavericks, so don't waste a larger drive if you have an 8GB available.

You can download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store Lion DiskMaker.

Lion DiskMaker is still putting the final touches on its version compatible with Mavericks, but the creator's latest beta version supports OS X 10.9 and will build a bootable USB. The only caveat is that you must have the Install OS X Mavericks file inside your Applications folder.

This is far and away the easiest way to create a bootable copy of OS X Mavericks.

Although I've successfully built a number of bootable USB disks with Lion DiskMaker, be aware that in my tests, the process took more time than the manual method (below). If you're low on time and high on efficiency, the manual method may be your best bet.

Once your USB drive has been created, it's time to install Mavericks.

1. Restart (or boot up) your Mac with the USB drive connected and hold down on the Option key. You should see a screen that lets you select a number of different hard drives, including your USB drive that reads, "Install OS X Mavericks."

2. Click on that drive to open up a list of settings. If you just want to do a typical OS X installation, you can do so (but then, why did you take the time to make the bootable media?).

3. For a clean install, open up Disk Utility and erase your main hard drive. Once you've done so, you can go back to the Install OS X Mavericks disk and choose "Install a new copy of OS X."

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Before you do anything: be sure to de-authorize your Macbook in iTunes. Also, might be worth first turning off "Find my Mac" if it's enabled, then logout of iCloud and remove that account.

Alex Smith18

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Edit: I have also heard you cannot sell any Mac that's been upgraded to Mavericks due to licensing?
Nonsense. Probably FUDS put about to make Apple sound bad.
But it you do a clean install, but don't activate the OS to that the new user has to accept the license, then that is squeaky clean.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I did a reinstall recently expecting it to clean the machine. It did NOT.

The new machine questions all came up as expected. BUT my user was still there! Crazy. It is a good thing I sold it to a close friend. We cleaned my user off after.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
To do a clean install of OS X Mavericks, you'll need a blank USB flash drive that is at least 8GB in size. You'll be using this drive completely for OS X Mavericks, so don't waste a larger drive if you have an 8GB available.

You can download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store Lion DiskMaker.

Lion DiskMaker is still putting the final touches on its version compatible with Mavericks, but the creator's latest beta version supports OS X 10.9 and will build a bootable USB. The only caveat is that you must have the Install OS X Mavericks file inside your Applications folder.

This is far and away the easiest way to create a bootable copy of OS X Mavericks.

Although I've successfully built a number of bootable USB disks with Lion DiskMaker, be aware that in my tests, the process took more time than the manual method (below). If you're low on time and high on efficiency, the manual method may be your best bet.

Once your USB drive has been created, it's time to install Mavericks.

1. Restart (or boot up) your Mac with the USB drive connected and hold down on the Option key. You should see a screen that lets you select a number of different hard drives, including your USB drive that reads, "Install OS X Mavericks."

2. Click on that drive to open up a list of settings. If you just want to do a typical OS X installation, you can do so (but then, why did you take the time to make the bootable media?).

3. For a clean install, open up Disk Utility and erase your main hard drive. Once you've done so, you can go back to the Install OS X Mavericks disk and choose "Install a new copy of OS X."

The erase is very important. I skipped the step and as explained above it did not wipe the drive during reinstall. I suppose that's a feature but not what I expected.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro