• Sometimes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • What are tags?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
One of the new features built-in to OS X Mavericks is the tagging system. While it looks handy, and very useful... I have to admit I haven't used it yet.

How about you? Do you use it at all? Go ahead and vote on the poll above and add your comments to this thread!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the tagging option in OS X Mavericks, but I do use it in third-party apps like Evernote.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I am currently experimenting with it to see if it can improve my workflow.

As a teacher, I have tons of documents, scanned versions of textbooks and worksheets in my dropbox folder which I have classified by subject and level, and previously accessing them meant driving deep into a certain sub-folder to get a file. Then when I needed another file, keep clicking back (or reopen dropbox).

I have spent a bit of time tagging the files which I feel I will need to access on a regular basis. For example, all my math textbooks are tagged "math", "textbook" and "pX", X is the respective grade level. So if I want to quickly access all my math textbooks, I just click on the textbook tag. To see only my grade4 books, add the p4 tag. It's particularly useful when I need to quickly access multiple files within the same finder window, but would otherwise be better off in separate folders.

It also takes a bit of planning to come up with the appropriate tags. You need to really take a bird's eye view of all your content and decide how best you want to filter them. I have restarted twice already by removing and reassigning tags when I added more files and wanted them to share similar parameters.

At the moment, the results seem promising, but the results will only become more apparent when school opens next year and I have a clearer picture of how useful this feature is when I need it to "just work" under time constraints. It also works great with the "open in new tab" option in finder. :)

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I am currently experimenting with it to see if it can improve my workflow.

As a teacher, I have tons of documents, scanned versions of textbooks and worksheets in my dropbox folder which I have classified by subject and level, and previously accessing them meant driving deep into a certain sub-folder to get a file. Then when I needed another file, keep clicking back (or reopen dropbox).

I have spent a bit of time tagging the files which I feel I will need to access on a regular basis. For example, all my math textbooks are tagged "math", "textbook" and "pX", X is the respective grade level. So if I want to quickly access all my math textbooks, I just click on the textbook tag. To see only my grade4 books, add the p4 tag. It's particularly useful when I need to quickly access multiple files within the same finder window, but would otherwise be better off in separate folders.

It also takes a bit of planning to come up with the appropriate tags. You need to really take a bird's eye view of all your content and decide how best you want to filter them. I have restarted twice already by removing and reassigning tags when I added more files and wanted them to share similar parameters.

At the moment, the results seem promising, but the results will only become more apparent when school opens next year and I have a clearer picture of how useful this feature is when I need it to "just work" under time constraints. It also works great with the "open in new tab" option in finder. :)

Sounds like a good plan.
Good Luck

jman0829

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I use them a lot. I have tagged all my documents for school and it's easier to find them. It's just great in my opinion.
Now im not going to lie it it's a little annoying to tag every file but once youre done you can see the results.
I like it. I dont know about the rest but you should try it.

DanielLui1

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I use them a lot. I have tagged all my documents for school and it's easier to find them. It's just great in my opinion.
Now im not going to lie it it's a little annoying to tag every file but once youre done you can see the results.
I like it. I dont know about the rest but you should try it.

I agree completely. Ever since the ability to tag files became available in the OS X Mavericks update, I've been tagging every new file I create. I've even tagged some of my older documents and I've also noticed that by tagging files, it makes it a whole lot easier to find the files you need when you need them therefore saving you time when you're in a rush.

FLIR31207

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I use tagging extensively in Evernote and Outlook and will definitely start using it as soon as I switch to Mavericks.
The great thing about tags is that you can assign more than one to one item, whereas a mail can only be stored in one folder, a note only in one notebook. I therefore try to keep my folder/notebook/directory structure as flat and simple as possible and use tags instead to structure my data.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used tags, but after reading this thread, I might take another look at using them. It seems they could be useful.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods