Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Reinstalling Mac OS

    So I'm wondering what is the best way to reinstall Mac OS El Capitain. Is it best to do a clean instal, meaning deleting the drive and reinstalling mac OS, or would a regular reinstall from the recovery menu without wiping my drive be just as good? is there any issues with performance from just reinstalling it without wiping my disc drive? when I reinstall Mac OS, does it literally just replace the OS, or does it pile on a additional copy of it, causing redundant data and cruft?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    I reinstalled every iteration of OS X that my MacBook supported over the years (with the exception of El Capitan) and I've already started from scratch. Is that the "best" way? It was for "me". El Captian is currently installed on my old MacBook, but I've yet to "reinstall it".
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    I reinstalled every iteration of OS X that my MacBook supported over the years (with the exception of El Capitan) and I've already started from scratch. Is that the "best" way? It was for "me". El Captian is currently installed on my old MacBook, but I've yet to "reinstall it".
    Well, I'm just worried that there might be slowdowns or performance issues if I do t do a "clean" install. Meaning I wipe the drive and reinstall OSX. Last time I tired soon. A clean install I messed up and couldn't get my drive to remount. So I'm nervous about trying again. Which is why I'm thinking of just doing a regular reinstall without wiping the drive
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Well, I'm just worried that there might be slowdowns or performance issues if I do t do a "clean" install. Meaning I wipe the drive and reinstall OSX. Last time I tired soon. A clean install I messed up and couldn't get my drive to remount. So I'm nervous about trying again. Which is why I'm thinking of just doing a regular reinstall without wiping the drive
    I understand...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    I understand...
    But do you think there would be slowdowns or issues if I didn't wipe the drive also and just reinstalled it?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    But do you think there would be slowdowns or issues if I didn't wipe the drive also and just reinstalled it?
    No, I do not. I think you'll be fine doing it the way you mentioned.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    No, I do not. I think you'll be fine doing it the way you mentioned.
    But it doesn't create two copies of the same OS, right? Does it literally just replace what was there before?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    But it doesn't create two copies of the same OS, right? Does it literally just replace what was there before?
    No, it does not create two copies. It replaces what was there before.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    No, it does not create two copies. It replaces what was there before.
    So it wouldn't create any cruft or redundant data?
  10. #10  
    mrjayviper's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    backup any files. create a USB install. boot into it. open disk utility and erase the disk that contains OS X. then proceed to install OS X.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    RavenSword's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reinstalling Mac OS

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post
    backup any files. create a USB install. boot into it. open disk utility and erase the disk that contains OS X. then proceed to install OS X.
    I can't erase the disc. Doing so breaks my fusion drive into two separate drives and I can't rebuild it unless I go into terminal and do a lot of stuff. Unless apple has fixed this issue, then I can't do a "clean install"

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM
  2. The hidden history of educational gaming on the Mac
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM
  3. Should I be using OS X Firewall?
    By RavenSword in forum iMac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM
  4. Comic: Those Mac to School Blues
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM
  5. How do i clean my mac
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions