Mail app and Mavericks - Stability Issues?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. Since I updated to Mavericks, things have gone swimmingly well, with one exception... the Mail app.

It still works just fine, however, the app overall is MUCH slower. Has anyone else experienced the same or similar issues? Is there anything that can be done to improve performance?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Much slower? Not on my end, but it does seem "slower", but not enough to cause concern for me. Then again, I'm usually responding to email messages via my iPhone or while logged into to the service's web site.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I wasn’t having any problems with the speed of the Mail app in Mavericks... but I was part of the AppleSeed program for Mavericks... and as a member of that team, I did receive the updates to the new version of Mail. Again, no noticeable slowness or lag in the Mail app from where I sit.

My only issue with Mail has to do with the filtering. All though the Mavericks DP, GM and GA releases, if I get an email for which I want to create a rule, I go through the process. At the end, I am prompted to apply the new rule to the current mailbox and it does not work on that email. If I get subsequent emails that trigger the rule, it works perfectly... just have to manually move/action the initial message. Frustrating, but not earth shaking.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I RARELY use the Mail app (its just kinda sucked for the last few OS versions with Gmail and my Google Apps addresses) so thats not entirely a deal breaker for me, but knowing that it REALLY doesn't play nice and there's an issues with the app in this OS is actually one of the many reasons I am hesitating to update to Mavericks. I have too many active jobs going on to risk it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mail.app doesn't play nice with gmail because Google uses a non-standard IMAP implementation. That being said, it works ok on Mavericks IF you have the "all mail" feature turned on for gmail. With that off though, the Mail.app and gmail don't get along.

The most recent AppleSeed version of Mail is supposed to address/fix that issue... but to be clear, as Karen stated, it is not an issue with Mail, it’s that Google is doing their wonky sleight of hand stuff with the IMAP settings within Gmail...

This is a perfect example of WHY there are standards for this stuff... but Google has to be "special".

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends has been using OS X and the Apple Mail app since 2006, and he has been having many issues since he upgraded to Mavericks.

pcNevamore

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if best thread as it is not about stability, but it is about the Mail app. Last night after the app was updated I thought that it was time to clean up the 100's of emails and sort into folders. I came into work and an looked at the Mail app and nothing was sorted. Actually doesn't appear as though anything synced, not even the messages deleted. Now I only use this for a couple of personal email accounts and use outlook for work email both on home mac and work mac, so this is not a huge deal I guess. So my question is.......is there a way that the mail app can be synced on both my macs?
A bit of a pain if I have to create folders, sort and delete on both.
Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73