How is OS X Mavericks performing on your Apple Desktop or laptop?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you all, but OS X Mavericks is performing quite well on my MacBook early 2009 model. I figured it would be laggy, but far from it, thankfully. The web browsing is especially snappy, and I'm liking the new look the iOS 7 look. I didn't think I would, but I was wrong. How 'bout you?

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
REALLY wanting to update but I've been burned by updates before so I'm waiting about a week to make sure I don't hear of any common glitches.
Glad to hear it has gone well for you!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I’ve been running Mavericks on my "daily driver" rMBP since about Developer Preview 3. I’ve had Developer Preview 6 on all of my Macs (rMBP, iMac, Mac Mini and 2009 MacBook)... all run great... no performance issues whatsoever... it seems lighter and faster than Mountain Lion... I would highly recommend it to all...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
REALLY wanting to update but I've been burned by updates before so I'm waiting about a week to make sure I don't hear of any common glitches.
Glad to hear it has gone well for you!

That's understandable, my friend...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been running Mavericks on my "daily driver" rMBP since about Developer Preview 3. I’ve had Developer Preview 6 on all of my Macs (rMBP, iMac, Mac Mini and 2009 MacBook)... all run great... no performance issues whatsoever... it seems lighter and faster than Mountain Lion... I would highly recommend it to all...

I agree. It does seem to perform better than it did on Mountain Lion. I'm liking it, thus far.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
So far so good on my 2011 MBP 13". Runs smooth and enjoying some of the new features (iBooks & Maps). Install was easy too. Can't chime on battery life yet.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
question: what is the best way for me to backup/update?

i have Leopard on my MBP late 2010 and have never done an update on a Mac before

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My Mid '09 MBP is running okay... A little bit of lag here and there compared to 10.6.8, especially during Shut Down, Restart, or initial boot up. But overall, I'm pretty pleased.

My install process didn't go so smooth. The Install tool froze after the progress bar finished filling up. I restarted, and went through the setup process... after which, it just shut down completely on its own. I pushed the power button and booted back up, and had to go through the setup process all over again... after that, things started to smooth out.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's working very well on my MBP...seems pretty polished, no glitchy performance yet anywhere that I normally use. The only "problem" I've run into even throughout the whole installation process was my Activity Monitor getting all wacky for a few moments when parts of the OS were still optimizing. I was trying to see what was being effected by the optimizations, and while doing it I was getting a lot of weird code in the listing areas, and then it would go away. After it finished...nothing but smooth sailing.

It's great so far! Especially being able to respond to texts in iMessage while still working or browsing. THAT was worth the upgrade by itself!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going to wait a week or two for my iMac, just to see if anything weird crops up. I am also a little nervous that it will slow me down with CC.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I'm stuck on GM 1. Can't update to official. Any tips? Or I'll have to wipe and reinstall everything and update,.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Just go to your Purchased tab in the Mac AppStore and you should see the Mavericks download. When you try to download it, it will inform you that you already have it installed but will allow uh to go ahead if you want. Worked for me anyway.

Yeah thats the problem is I downloaded it off the net. I only have a iOS dev account. Not a Mac so it won't show for me. I think my only option is to wipe and reload the original shipping OS. Then load back up and update to Mavericks. Seems what others are doing that are in my same shoes. Time consuming but fixable.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Mavericks runs well on my mid 2007 iMac. Seems better than Mountain Lion was on it. I had a few issues with a music control surface app that was crashing the Finder in Mavericks no big deal.
I only use Snow Leopard for recording music booting from a external drive. I use Mavs just for icloud and iTunes.
Looking at getting a Mac Mini for non music stuff and use a HDTV for a monitor.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats the problem is I downloaded it off the net. I only have a iOS dev account. Not a Mac so it won't show for me. I think my only option is to wipe and reload the original shipping OS. Then load back up and update to Mavericks. Seems what others are doing that are in my same shoes. Time consuming but fixable.

Yeah, that’s a big freaking bowl of "gotcha". I did the same thing last year with Mountain Lion... my solution was way more expensive than what you’re facing... I bought my retina MBP and did the upgrade that way...

I don’t really see any way around it...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro