Hello,

I have had my credit card number (not card) stolen twice in the last month, two different cards. I was wondering if I needed virus protection on my imac. If so what is the best one that is the cheapest to get. On my Surface Pro, and my Windows 8 laptop I use the built in Security Essentials. Does Apple make a built in virus protection? I have a 2011 iMac 21 Inch. I mostly just use it for vidoes and to do my online banking.

Any information regarding the right software to get would be very helpful. I am looking for the best and the cheapest solutions.

I forgot to add: Is Virus Protection even needed?
    Last edited by rdubmu; 09-24-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    09-24-2013 05:42 PM
    Hello,

I have had my credit card number (not card) stolen twice in the last month, two different cards. I was wondering if I needed virus protection on my imac. If so what is the best one that is the cheapest to get. On my Surface Pro, and my Windows 8 laptop I use the built in Security Essentials. Does Apple make a built in virus protection? I have a 2011 iMac 21 Inch. I mostly just use it for vidoes and to do my online banking.

Any information regarding the right software to get would be very helpful. I am looking for the best and the cheapest solutions.

I forgot to add: Is Virus Protection even needed?
    Sophos is popular, good and free. I have it on my iMac (family computer with grandkids)... but roll "naked" on my MBP... smart web surfing is the key.

Mac Antivirus | Free Antivirus for Mac Tool Download | Sophos
    rdubmu and estroh like this.
    09-24-2013 06:12 PM
    Downloaded and did a scan, Funny thing, it found two Trojans that affect windows computer and not MACs. I wonder how many macs are HOST for trojans and other viruses since majority do not effect MACs.
    09-25-2013 12:27 AM
    Apple doesn't make virus protection and don't believe the Macoyltes that say that Mac don't need virus protection. It may be that your credit card info was skimmed from a legitimate purchase online or in store, but insofar as there are products out there that will help with malware and viruses with a minimum of fuss - and often free - why take the chance?

Check out this thread in these Forums - http://forums.imore.com/os-x/261453-...l-10-84-a.html

I use the freeware Avast!, BTW.
    09-26-2013 07:20 AM