Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Fausty82
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,445 Global Posts

Default Virus Protection

Hello,

I have had my credit card number (not card) stolen twice in the last month, two different cards. I was wondering if I needed virus protection on my imac. If so what is the best one that is the cheapest to get. On my Surface Pro, and my Windows 8 laptop I use the built in Security Essentials. Does Apple make a built in virus protection? I have a 2011 iMac 21 Inch. I mostly just use it for vidoes and to do my online banking.

Any information regarding the right software to get would be very helpful. I am looking for the best and the cheapest solutions.

I forgot to add: Is Virus Protection even needed?
    Last edited by rdubmu; 09-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

Default Re: Virus Protection

Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    Hello,

I have had my credit card number (not card) stolen twice in the last month, two different cards. I was wondering if I needed virus protection on my imac. If so what is the best one that is the cheapest to get. On my Surface Pro, and my Windows 8 laptop I use the built in Security Essentials. Does Apple make a built in virus protection? I have a 2011 iMac 21 Inch. I mostly just use it for vidoes and to do my online banking.

Any information regarding the right software to get would be very helpful. I am looking for the best and the cheapest solutions.

I forgot to add: Is Virus Protection even needed?
    Sophos is popular, good and free. I have it on my iMac (family computer with grandkids)... but roll "naked" on my MBP... smart web surfing is the key.

Mac Antivirus | Free Antivirus for Mac Tool Download | Sophos
    rdubmu and estroh like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,445 Global Posts

Downloaded and did a scan, Funny thing, it found two Trojans that affect windows computer and not MACs. I wonder how many macs are HOST for trojans and other viruses since majority do not effect MACs.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    925 Global Posts

Apple doesn't make virus protection and don't believe the Macoyltes that say that Mac don't need virus protection. It may be that your credit card info was skimmed from a legitimate purchase online or in store, but insofar as there are products out there that will help with malware and viruses with a minimum of fuss - and often free - why take the chance?

Check out this thread in these Forums - http://forums.imore.com/os-x/261453-...l-10-84-a.html

I use the freeware Avast!, BTW.