Macbooks on Ebay

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I am looking to get a 2012 11" or 13" Macbook Air. I looked at Apple's Refurbs. 2012 13" Air with 4GB and 128SSD is $1019 plus tax and $929 for 11". So I would be looking at around $1100 and $1000 respectively. I figured that I would be willing to get one from Ebay (assuming it's in good shape) if I could save $200. So that would be $800 for the 11" and $900 for 13". So I go to Ebay and I am SHOCKED! People are selling and buying used (sometimes beat up) Macbooks for the same if not a little higher then one can get straight from Apple. ?????????? WTF is that all about? Am I missing something? Please help me understand.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There certainly are...lol.

A lot of people are just ignorant to searching for pricing though...my dad for instance (granted he's near 60), he bought himself an iPod Touch on Amazon, the last generation and he paid about $10 less than what one cost new (it was "NIB" but the package was opened which tells me it was just used but in mint condition), I let him enjoy his iPod because he was happy with it and happy with the price he paid, but i found if he looked around a bit, he could have got a sealed version for about $30-$40 less than what he paid.

There are eBay users that thrive on people like him...they just buy something that looks like a good deal with no research. It's a shame, but hey, it is what it is.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Any way. Ended up getting a 2012 13"
Air base config for $800. The unit itself is in flawless condition and comes with all original stuff. The screen, when on, has a line going down it. Checked with Apple and apparently it's a known issue and is covered by warranty. So when it arrives all I have to do is take it in and they'll either fix it or swap it out. Something tells me they'll just give me a refurbed unit. So now have to wait till Wed. :(