Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By Laelipoo
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    mohawk apple's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    845 Global Posts

    Default Microsoft word?

    Is there a program like Microsoft word allready installed on a MacBook Pro? Or something similar, I'm just trying to make a simple price list for my work nothing fancy just a simple layout.
    Thanks
  2. #2  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,593 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,474 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Pages... and there's Numbers for your spreadsheet needs.
    mohawk apple likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Microsoft word?

    TextEdit comes built in and is a basic word processor. OpenOffice or NeoOffice are full office replacements for free.


    Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    mohawk apple likes this.
  4. #4  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Pages... and there's Numbers for your spreadsheet needs.

    But they don't come pre-installed, nor are they free... something like $20 each in the Mac App Store.
  5. #5  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    I personally prefer Pages to Word, but the world of business isn't on that level yet, and most don't accept anything outside of word docs (thankfully, many of my contacts take PDF's, which i can happily produce in Pages).
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    But they don't come pre-installed, nor are they free... something like $20 each in the Mac App Store.
    When I bought my MacBook in '09, iWorks came pre-installed.
  7. #7  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    When I bought my MacBook in '09, iWorks came pre-installed.
    Really? I had to buy it... still have the disc, and it upgrades to the current version, so I remove it when I sell my old Mac and install it on the new one... but I don't recall it ever coming pre-installed on any of my Macs. iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, etc) do, but not iWork.
  8. #8  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    My 2011 model didn't come with iWork, only iLife (pre-installed), thankfully though, we already had it.
  9. #9  

    Default Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Really? I had to buy it... still have the disc, and it upgrades to the current version, so I remove it when I sell my old Mac and install it on the new one... but I don't recall it ever coming pre-installed on any of my Macs. iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, etc) do, but not iWork.
    I stand corrected. Both you and Sean are correct. It came pre-installed with iLife and I ended up purchasing iWorks. Sorry for the confusion. This is not my day...
  10. #10  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I stand corrected. Both you and Sean are correct. It came pre-installed with iLife and I ended up purchasing iWorks. Sorry for the confusion. This is not my day...
    Thanks for clearing that up, D
  11. #11  

    Default Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up, D
    You're very welcome and thank you, sir....
  12. #12  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    When I bought my first Mac I bought iWorks (also still have the disks). I lasted about 2 weeks with it and then uninstalled it and got MS Office for Mac. Apple needs to stick to hardware, they don't quite have software down yet. Word is still heads above Pages, with tons more features, and much more intuitive.

    That being said, if you're unwilling or unable to spend for either, OpenOffice is a brilliant alternative.
  13. #13  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Microsoft word?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    When I bought my first Mac I bought iWorks (also still have the disks). I lasted about 2 weeks with it and then uninstalled it and got MS Office for Mac. Apple needs to stick to hardware, they don't quite have software down yet. Word is still heads above Pages, with tons more features, and much more intuitive.

    That being said, if you're unwilling or unable to spend for either, OpenOffice is a brilliant alternative.
    I think the graphics enhancements on Pages are much more intuitive and seem to have a broader range of options for text based customizing...I use Word all the time, but just still feel like it's a no-nonsense business type software, it's missing the creative feel to it (and while i know that it is perfectly capable of creative projects, I guess it's just the overall approach to it, it feels very cold and stale working in Word, where as Pages feels like it's a part of Creative Suite to me.)
    Fausty82 likes this.
  14. #14  
    reahn's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    67 Posts

    Default Microsoft word?

    There is also Bean, a word processor downloadable for mac
  15. #15  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Microsoft word?

    If your are just looking for something very simple, then the builtin TextEdit might do the trick. It has basic formatting like bold, italics, underline, indent, bullets (I think), etc.

    It saves documents as a .rtf (rich text file) which is readable by Word or Pages or most any other document editor.

    For something a bit more complicated go with Pages. I believe it is only $20 in the Mac AppStore. Word, especially if you are more comfortable and familiar with it, would also work, but you can't just buy the Word component and the entire Microsoft Office suite can be pricey.

    You could also try online Google Docs which would be free.

Similar Threads

  1. Word Pyramid : a fun word puzzle for iPhone and iPad
    By word pyramid in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
  2. Good app for microsoft word.
    By SaberSerene in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
  3. Microsoft Word Document
    By Alkali in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
  4. microsoft word pictures to 3gs
    By yuhhh in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 07:45 AM
  5. Dino Word Panic Lite - Would it reach top 10 in Word category?
    By IPhoneAppLover in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions