Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

157 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Default RAM Question...

So I'm looking to upgrade my late 2011 Macbook Pro 2.8ghz 13" i7 from 4gb of ram to 8 - what is the difference between the PC3-10600 and PC3-8500 sticks? I can get free overnight shipping on the PC3-8500 type with Amazon Prime, so was wondering if that RAM would work or not.

Any help would be great!
    iMore Genius

8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

If you go with ALL slower memory, your performance will lag because the memory can't keep up with the machine... sort of like a funnel.

If you mix memory speeds, and you're lucky, all will run at the slowest memory speed in the mix. If you're not lucky, expect crashes, lockups and other fun stuff.

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

It'll work, but you're better off getting the 10600 and getting your proper DDR3 1333MHz...
    iMore Newbie

40 Posts

Dear user
    it's better that you buy a ram that have same timinng ( same latancy and same clock ) and same capacity...and of course it's better to be in a same brand for better performance less confliq and many other technical reasons...