02-23-2013 09:13 AM
- Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, I have noticed that when I reply to an email. the email address does not always match the email address to which the message was sent.
I have about 15 email addresses for various things... by way of example, let's identify these email addresses as:
If I set Mail up to send mail from email@example.com (Mail/Preference/Composing/Send Messages From ...), all new email that I write defaults to firstname.lastname@example.org. I can change it, based on the need and Mail sends the message from the specified email address.
However, if I get a message sent to email@example.com, when I click REPLY, the new message screen is populated with the default address (in my case, firstname.lastname@example.org). This is the same regardless of which email address I receive and try to reply from.
In Lion, the replies ALWAYS defaulted to send the reply from the same address to which the original mail was send (i.e., replies to messages send to email@example.com were always sent from firstname.lastname@example.org).
Has anybody seen this, or have a solution? It's a pain to have to remember to check/change the FROM address whenever I reply to a message, and this results in a lot of bounced messages...08-06-2012 11:25 AM
- 08-06-2012 11:42 AM
Clicking a new mail message defaults to the address of the top mailbox listed when your mailbox/folder panel is open on the Mail window and the Inbox folder is expanded showing the individual boxes... one can click & drag those so a preferred one is at the top. Edit: with the compose tab set to "selected box"
- clicking a specific mailbox in that expanded box/folder list will result in a new mail from that specific box when hitting the 'compose new mail' button...
When reading an email, clicking reply defaults to the reply coming from the account the message was received in.
Last edited by kch50428; 08-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.08-06-2012 12:07 PM
- 08-06-2012 01:02 PM
- Ok, new clue... apparently is works as it should AS LONG AS the message is still sitting in the INBOX. However, if the message that you are replying to has been moved to a different mailbox (e.g., by a rule), the from address once again defaults to the email address associated with the first mailbox listed...
Dang software bug.08-06-2012 01:08 PM
- 08-06-2012 01:19 PM
- I called Apple support about this... and got escalated to a senior support tech in on the Mail product. After explaining my issue, the tech was able to recreate the issue. She is escalating it to the product engineers for investigation and resolution.
At least I know now that I am not totally going nuts. (no comments. please).08-06-2012 10:51 PM
- I'm having the exact same issues as you are, Keith. I cannot choose my default email account and they can not be dragged to change the order. Also, when replying the message is never sent from the address the message was sent to, unless it's the default account, which the mail app chooses. Also, my rules aren't working properly. Most times, most of the messages just go into my Inbox and I have to select them all and choose "apply rules". It's VERY frustrating!! I used to love this app.02-18-2013 12:15 AM
- Hi Fausty82,
It's not too much to ask. We understand the issue and intend to address it.
On Oct 31, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Fausty82 wrote:
Would it be too much to ask to have one of your OS X developers fix the "REPLY TO" bug in OS X Mail (6.2, 1499)? This is causing a lot of grief for a lot of your loyal fans and customers, myself included.
Thank you for your consideration.02-23-2013 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD