Upgrade Hardware Poll

What should I replace my old hardware with?

• Total voters

jnat88

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been planning to update and upgrade my hardware for awhile now. I am still running an old PowerPC (G5) and a MBP from 07. Last week the monitor went out on my desktop, so there is not better time to upgrade.

My issue is what to get. Before I was just thinking to get a Mac Mini since I already had a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. But now that my monitor is dead, do I just go with an iMac?

My other thought is to just go with a really nice MB and get rid of the desktop all together. My kids are still little and not in school yet and I do travel quite a bit, so the portability is a plus. But, we also have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads in the house that get used heavily also.

Pluses and minuses to everything! Ideally, if money weren't an issue, I would just get them all and not have to worry about it! But since the budget is currently tight, I thought I would put this out for some ideas. Comments welcome!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the ease of upgradability on the MBP (non-retina)...the cheap price of internal parts is also a plus. That is what i would go for (if you can afford it). We have an iMac that my wife uses for production projects but i rarely use it at all because i have no need to, my MBP or iPad are always within arms reach at home, and my iPhone is with me 100% of the time.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Based on the portability issue, I voted for the MBP... however, depending on your budget, the MBA may also be an option - though storage could be an issue as with upgradability... I'd lose the desktop and go with one of the MacBook entries based upon your budget...

jnat88

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. My budget would be around $1000 or so. I don't mind buying something used or refurbished that's a year or two old either to save some money.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
On that budget I agree on going with the MBP. On Apple's refurb site you can get the 2011 13' i5 4gb/500g for $929 before taxes.