Mac Book Pro memory upgrade.... Huh?

Winski

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you a brief story that happened to me over the weekend, then YOU decide if it's seduction or something a little more on the order of forced assault...

I set about to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP memory on Friday... I went on the Apple web site to make sure I knew what the right memories were. Although a bit more expensive than the masses (although a lot cheaper than two years ago), I identified the correct memories... Although not available in my local Apple store, it WAS 'in stock' at a retail store a few miles north of me. Trying to be a rational customer, I called Apple Care and asked them how I should approach this OR if I had to do it myself.. They assured me that not only could I pick up the memories at Apple retail store identified with them in stock, the store 'Genius Bar' would be happy to install them as well.. I thought - GREAT... So I called the store, made an appointment with the 'Genius Bar' for the next morning and went off to snooze the night away.

I arrived at the Apple retail store the next morning at the appointed time.. IMMEDIATELY, the 'Genius' told me that they would ABSOLUTELY NOT sell me the 'old' memories that they usually didn't keep around in the store (I was told the Apple web site saying they had the inventory was a fluke), but that they would ABSOLUTELY NOT install anything for an *'upgrade' on an existing product unless it was at time of purchase. (caught me a bit off guard since I had been told BY APPLE exactly the opposite).

As I was leaving the store empty-handed, it struck me that I could order, AND PICK UP, the memories I was going to have to install myself at the store I was already in. So in the front of the store, I whipped out my MBP, ordered the memory that the web site said was "In stock" at the retail store I was in, for in-store pickup. I waited ten minutes and went back to the same "Genius Bar' that I was basically kicked out of, and with a much nicer store assistant, picked up my memory (IN AN APPLE BOX WITH MY NAME ON IT) at the same "Genius Bar'. The 'Genius' that all but told me to get out of his store watched as the transaction went down with a look of disdain on his face. I guess it was overkill for me to 'flash' the memory box, IN AN APPLE BOX WITH MY NAME ON IT, at the 'Genius' as I left.

Installing the memory in the 'old' (early Jan. 2012 and BEFORE) is rather easy. Although getting the impossibly small phillips screws out of the bottom is a challenge. AND, finding the correct, #00 Phillips, to actually take the screws OUT! But I did the memory upgrade AND found the tool at Home Depot... $2.11 including California Sales Tax....

Ahh the perils of being an Apple Fan boy sometimes are trying...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it was overkill at ALL to flash the box at him. ;) I would have insisted on speaking with the store manager and would have explained the whole situation to him/her. That first employee needs a good lesson on customer service, or the "want ads."

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Wow that's really surprising that they would treat you like that. I've never experienced poor service at an Apple store, usually they go out of their way to accommodate people, myself included. Once I went to the Apple Store with a iPhone who's button was starting to fail, and didn't know you had to have an appointment for the Genius Bar. They let me in anyways, and just swapped my phone out for a completely new one. Didn't cost me anything.

Anyways, I was just coming to this section of the forums to ask about a Memory upgrade to a MacBook Pro as I want to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB on my 13' Pro from early 2011. I have Apple Care for the MacBook so I didn't want to perform the upgrade myself as I thought it might void the warranty. I see on Apple.com that the memory for my MacBook would be $200, which is quiet a markup from Crucial.com's $50 for 8GB. I was wondering if anyone knew if upgrading the memory myself would void the warranty?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow that's really surprising that they would treat you like that. I've never experienced poor service at an Apple store, usually they go out of their way to accommodate people, myself included. Once I went to the Apple Store with a iPhone who's button was starting to fail, and didn't know you had to have an appointment for the Genius Bar. They let me in anyways, and just swapped my phone out for a completely new one. Didn't cost me anything.

Anyways, I was just coming to this section of the forums to ask about a Memory upgrade to a MacBook Pro as I want to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB on my 13' Pro from early 2011. I have Apple Care for the MacBook so I didn't want to perform the upgrade myself as I thought it might void the warranty. I see on Apple.com that the memory for my MacBook would be $200, which is quiet a markup from Crucial.com's $50 for 8GB. I was wondering if anyone knew if upgrading the memory myself would void the warranty?

Well, it's in the manual (how to change ram) so I would say no. But that would be something I would call and check. I never had an issue with Apple after I did my own RAM.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73