Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

Default Looking for a Drawing Program

My daughter wants to convert to a Mac, but in order to do so, she needs a program to replace Microsoft Publisher. She uses Publisher to design party decorations... using stock photography and adds custom shapes, boxes, outlines and text... I have no experience with anything of that type (Photoshop and LightRoom, yes; what she does, no).

Does anyone have a recommendation for this type of software? There seems to be a lot of stuff in the Mac App Store, but no clear cut choice.
    iMore Nanite

5 Posts

What might be a good idea is for her to buy the Mac and run virtualisation software. I run Parallels and it's pretty good. She needs to be mindful of which version she gets as some will only allow you to run Win7 and not XP.
    iPhone Newbie

21 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

There are some free apps like sketchbook on the mac app store, or you could run bootcamp on your mac so you both windows or mac. We currently have an iMac with windows and mac osx on it. Its pretty cool
    iPhone Pro

504 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

Pixelmator is great -- a lot of hobbyists use it as a MUCH cheaper Photoshop alternative... it's very user-friendly and, while it's not quite like Publisher (I can't believe she uses Publisher for what she does, anyway, that's crazy!), it's great for what she does. She would probably love it way more than Publisher, as it is meant for what she dos (and Publisher is not, haha). Can be found in the Mac App Store.