Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

Default What is Your Google/Mac Sync Setup?

As a relatively new Mac user, I'm still getting used to different aspects of OS X. One place I'm struggling to make a decision is in my Mail/Contacts syncing. I've always used Gmail set up as an Exchange account on my iPhone, and the sync there has been great--my mail, contacts, and calendar have all been good since the day I set it up.

On my Mac, it's not so simple. I synced my Calendar in iCal and that's working great. But when I tried to set up Contact syncing via Google, it only wanted to sync the My Contacts group--about a third of my total contacts. As I need the full list available when emailing, that wouldn't work. I ended up exporting the full list as a vCard and importing them into my Mac Address Book, but obviously it would be better if they stayed in sync. But what is the best way to do that?

I haven't explored iCloud much--I thought at first that I might be able to use it at the same time as my Google Sync set up, but when I tried to enable it on my iPhone, it said my Exchange contacts would not be synced, which makes me think I'd lose something in the process.

So, I'm curious about how everyone handles this. Specifically, people that use Google for their Contacts and Calendars as well as Gmail. Do you sync, or do it all manually? What's your setup? All iCloud? All Google? A mix? How did you set things up? Any problems, pitfalls, or common mistakes I should look out for?

Thanks for the advice!

Before I changed my primary email calendar, etcetera to iCloud, I had Google setup and syncing perfectly with my MacBook. I just signed into to Gmail using the exchange setup. and everything worked fine. Any change I made on one device reflected on the others. I don't *think* I did anything else, but then again, I experiment a lot so I could have...
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

I use the Exchange setup on my iPhone and love it, but I didn't see that option in the Mac Mail.app. Where did you set it up? (To be clear: I see the Exchange option, but the settings used for iOS don't seem to work for Mac--they're mobile specific. So I'm wondering if Google just doesn't support what I want?)
    Last edited by Massie; 05-03-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Under the mail setting, you should see "Microsoft Exchange" as depicted in the attached screenshot. Use it to setup your gmail account and use m.google.com as the server address. You will then see mail, contacts & calendar already checked for you to be synced to your device.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,702 Global Posts

It's relatively easy, as far as your contacts from google. (if you're talking about what I'm thinking) Go into google and export your contacts. Then under address book on your MacBook import the file.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Under the mail setting, you should see "Microsoft Exchange" as depicted in the attached screenshot. Use it to setup your gmail account and use m.google.com as the server address. You will then see mail, contacts & calendar already checked for you to be synced to your device.
    I did try that, but using the m.google.com address as the server just returns a 443 error, I assume because my Mac is not a mobile device. The account just sits in my Mail.app, inactive because it won't connect.

And Emcee, I have already done what you suggest, but was hoping to get Exchange working to have a seamless sync between my iPhone, Mac, and online Gmail contacts (so I don't have to import new contacts later). Definitely a good workaround for now, though.

Keep trying. It will work. I just did it on my MacBook. I did get an error, but I tried a couple of more times and the server took. As you can see from my previous screenshot, the Gmail icon is exactly the same as the Microsoft Exchange icon.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

Good to know. Once it takes, do you have any outages?

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Good to know. Once it takes, do you have any outages?
    I have yet to experience any.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

Nope, still not working for me. Just so we're clear, I CAN set up gmail as an imap account without any issue. If I try to use the Exchange option, it all shows up fine in the SysPrefs panel, but in the Mail app I just have an exclamation point next to the account, and the 443 error.

You say you're using the native Mac Mail app? Can you give a screenshot of your server settings? Thanks for walking me through all this!