Getting a MacBook Pro. Want Optical Drive and Mountain Lion...

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So I like the current MacBook Pros for the optical drive, but I want the new OS - Mountain Lion.

My question is, will the older models get the new OS this summer when all that comes out? I know they'll be cheaper, but will I have to upgrade the OS separately?

Thanks!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I like the current MacBook Pros for the optical drive, but I want the new OS - Mountain Lion.

My question is, will the older models get the new OS this summer when all that comes out? I know they'll be cheaper, but will I have to upgrade the OS separately?

Thanks!!

Typically the OS X upgrade will be available free for a fixed period of time - usually 2 months for computers purchased within that timeframe prior to the release of the new OS X - for example, if Mountain Lion is released on June 1, typically computers purchased by April1 will get a free upgrade... but even if they don't, the new version is typically $30 and can be installed on up to 5 machines within the same home/family.

Reactions: NINnerd

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

Let me ask you this - does the optical drive add a lot of the weight to the MBP?

Can't say for sure... my MBP has it... don't know what it feels like to not have one. My work laptop is a ThinkPad with the removable ultrabay (interchangeable options for optical disk or 2nd hard drive) and that optical drive by itself weighs just a few ounces... so I'd think there won't be much weight from the optical drive in a MBP... but removing the optical drive may allow Apple to make the MBP with a lower profile (that is, thinner).

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yah, the salesperson I talked to said they were going to move towards a slimmer design for the MPB, like the Air.

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Here's another question (I didn't want to create a separate thread) - What's the rumored time frame that the new Macs will come out?

I ask because my Dell is seriously dying on me, but I'm trying to hold out. :confused:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's another question (I didn't want to create a separate thread) - What's the rumored time frame that the new Macs will come out?

I ask because my Dell is seriously dying on me, but I'm trying to hold out. :confused:

It's hard to say... the Ivy bridge processors are out from Intel... so I would think they're "on the way"... but I haven't heard any rumored dates for release...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen