Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Clean install of Lion then use migration assistant

I have a late 2009 Mac mini that has been upgraded to 8 GB of RAM, but I think it should be a little peppy'r than it is now. At one point I installed Lion Server on the machine as a "what the heck i will try this thing out" type of situation and then realized it changes your core files and cannot be uninstalled. I am aware that this may not be the main cause of my lagginess, but I would feel better knowing it was gone

What I want to do is reinstall Lion so that it wipes everything and treats it like a brand new machine. From a Time Machine backup I then want to use Migration Assistant to get all of my apps and data back. I don't want to restore from the Time Machine backup because that will just give me what I have now.

My first question is will using Migration assistant and moving all of my data back to my machine put me right back to where I was?

And my second question is...is there a better option than this? I want a fresh install of Lion, but want to get all of my apps and data back that will be backed up on my Time Machine drive.