Thinking about getting a MacBook Air - Advice?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been a longtime PC user, but all I use it for at this time is internet, email, uploading/downloading pictures and music, and the occasional document creating on Word. Anything else (games, pictures, etc.) are all done from my phone - which I use as my digital camera.

I've been debating on getting one of the refurbished Airs at the Apple Store, but I don't know TOO much about them. I like the portability and thinness. I know I'd have to buy an external CD/DVD player, but other than that it seems like it would work out for my needs.

Does anyone have any advice about them, or someone that has one that just wants to share their experience? I'd definitely appreciate it!

I recently switched to a 4S from Android and am seriously considering switching everything to Apple (thinking about an iPad 3 for my birthday in June)! Thanks again!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a pc to a Mac in 2009. I didn't like it initially because it was so different from what I was used to. Connecting external devices is a snap in comparison to a pc and crashing is as prevalent. Anyway, after a short while, I began enjoying the Mac experience more and more. Now, 3 years later, when a friend or an old client calls me to help troubleshoot their pc, I'm like, "Dude, you might want to call someone else because I'm am no longer familiar with the pc"....lol...Anyway, if all you'll be doing is surfing the web, reading & composing emails and creating an occasional document, you might as well stick with a pc. However, if you'll be doing a lot of multimedia or other artistic things and want seamless integration with your other Apple products then, by all means, get the MacBook Air or other Mac computer. At least that is my opinion. I hope I was helpful to you. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wildo6882

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the 13" MBA before selling it and buying a MBP. For what you listed as your requirements for use the Air will be just fine/more than enough. I would definitely get a model with 4GB of ram in it because you can't upgrade the ram in it and if possible go with the higher storage capacity if you can afford it. If you plan on using an ethernet cable in addition to wifi you will also need to buy an adapter for it since there is no port for the jack. One thing I did notice is that the fans kicked in pretty quickly when streaming video (Hulu, Netflix) and were a little too loud for my taste (It just may have been my machine though). Battery life was fine but nothing compared to my iPad 2.

All in all it's a great laptop which is only going to get better with each new version. I'm actually looking forward to the "rumored" 15" Air that is supposed to come out sometime this year. I also recommend going to your local Apple/BestBuy store and playing around with the MBP's and MBA's to get a better idea in making your decision when you purchase your laptop.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a pc to a Mac in 2009. I didn't like it initially because it was so different from what I was used to. Connecting external devices is a snap in comparison to a pc and crashing is as prevalent. Anyway, after a short while, I began enjoying the Mac experience more and more. Now, 3 years later, when a friend or an old client calls me to help troubleshoot their pc, I'm like, "Dude, you might want to call someone else because I'm am no longer familiar with the pc"....lol...Anyway, if all you'll be doing is surfing the web, reading & composing emails and creating an occasional document, you might as well stick with a pc. However, if you'll be doing a lot of multimedia or other artistic things and want seamless integration with your other Apple products then, by all means, get the MacBook Air or other Mac computer. At least that is my opinion. I hope I was helpful to you. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

The reason I was looking at the Airs was because all I wanted to do with it was surf, email, etc. Do you think getting an Air would be overkill, then? I would like seamless integration with my iPhone (and possible iPad down the line), however. I would still have my PC, too. Shockingly, she's still running ok after about 4 solid years of use.

I do appreciate your input.

I had the 13" MBA before selling it and buying a MBP. For what you listed as your requirements for use the Air will be just fine/more than enough. I would definitely get a model with 4GB of ram in it because you can't upgrade the ram in it and if possible go with the higher storage capacity if you can afford it. If you plan on using an ethernet cable in addition to wifi you will also need to buy an adapter for it since there is no port for the jack. One thing I did notice is that the fans kicked in pretty quickly when streaming video (Hulu, Netflix) and were a little too loud for my taste (It just may have been my machine though). Battery life was fine but nothing compared to my iPad 2.

All in all it's a great laptop which is only going to get better with each new version. I'm actually looking forward to the "rumored" 15" Air that is supposed to come out sometime this year. I also recommend going to your local Apple/BestBuy store and playing around with the MBP's and MBA's to get a better idea in making your decision when you purchase your laptop.

See, money is kind of the issue. It had me looking at the refurb with 2GB RAM and 64GB flash. I'd love to have more, but right now I doubt I could do much more, if any. I would really only use wi-fi, so the adapter wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking about going to BB to check them out over the weekend to see which one I'd like more.

Thanks for your input, as well.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If all you want to do is surf and do email, a Mac is overkill. They are more expensive than any pc, and don't "integrate" any better with your iOS devices.

If all you want to do is surf and do email, you might want to consider getting an iPad., and just keep your aging pc for the rare occasion you need to install something to your iPad.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If you are using it for just uploading/downloading pictures, etc. just go get a nice dell or asus or acer laptop since it will do what you need just fine.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason I was looking at the Airs was because all I wanted to do with it was surf, email, etc. Do you think getting an Air would be overkill, then?
Getting a Mac Air for just that is definitely overkill
I would like seamless integration with my iPhone (and possible iPad down the line), however. I would still have my PC, too. Shockingly, she's still running ok after about 4 solid years of use.
You will be able to integrate your devices with a non-Apple device.

I do appreciate your input.
Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

Just Me, D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
--snipped--

If all you want to do is surf and do email, you might want to consider getting an iPad., and just keep your aging pc for the rare occasion you need to install something to your iPad.

Excellent advice and I'm in total agreement.

Just Me, D

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. I've been looking locally on Craigslist for MacBooks, iPads, etc. I did find a pretty nice MacBook (5,2 I believe). I showed it to my buddy who's all Apple, all the time, and he gives me his advice on things. He said it looked pretty good and that he could probably up the RAM for me (right now it's at 2GB). I think we'll go look at that next week and if it doesn't work out, maybe I'll look at an iPad - although I might want to wait a couple months and get the 3.

Again, I do appreciate the advice. I've had nothing but positive responses on this site so far.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. I've been looking locally on Craigslist for MacBooks, iPads, etc. I did find a pretty nice MacBook (5,2 I believe). I showed it to my buddy who's all Apple, all the time, and he gives me his advice on things. He said it looked pretty good and that he could probably up the RAM for me (right now it's at 2GB). I think we'll go look at that next week and if it doesn't work out, maybe I'll look at an iPad - although I might want to wait a couple months and get the 3.

Again, I do appreciate the advice. I've had nothing but positive responses on this site so far.

I bought my MacBook in '09 and it's still Runs as smoothly as the day I bought it. Personally, I see no need to replace it thus far. Anyway, good luck on your purchase and let us know how you like it. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have both a 15" MBP and a 13" MBA (actually, the MBA is my wife's computer) as well as a 21.5" iMac (for the family computer). There is a difference, obviously, but for what you want to do with it, a MBA would be more than enough.

Before buying the MBA, we borrowed my brother-in-law's 11" MBA... and loved it. It was easy to travel with, light to carry, and more than powerful enough for surfing, email and storing vacation pictures. The only knock on the 11" MBA, IMHO, is the screen size... I think the resolution is something like 1366 x 768... sounds ok, but the day-to-day use, at least for us, proved otherwise. The nice thing about the 13" MBA is the native resolution is 1440 x 900 - the same as my 15" MBP.

I realize that cost is a factor for you (isn't it for us all?), and for that reason and many others, I think a new MBP would be way overkill. Maybe you could find a good used MBP for a better price.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have both a 15" MBP and a 13" MBA (actually, the MBA is my wife's computer) as well as a 21.5" iMac (for the family computer). There is a difference, obviously, but for what you want to do with it, a MBA would be more than enough.

Before buying the MBA, we borrowed my brother-in-law's 11" MBA... and loved it. It was easy to travel with, light to carry, and more than powerful enough for surfing, email and storing vacation pictures. The only knock on the 11" MBA, IMHO, is the screen size... I think the resolution is something like 1366 x 768... sounds ok, but the day-to-day use, at least for us, proved otherwise. The nice thing about the 13" MBA is the native resolution is 1440 x 900 - the same as my 13" MBP.

I realize that cost is a factor for you (isn't it for us all?), and for that reason and many others, I think a new MBP would be way overkill. Maybe you could find a good used MBP for a better price.

Thanks for the input. The MacBook that I found locally on Craigslist is from 2009. It has a new disc drive, and casing. She's asking $500 for it, which seems reasonable in my book, but I'm still going to go take a look at it next week. One of the reasons I was looking at the MBA was because I could get a refurb at a decent enough cost for me that it wouldn't kill me, plus have Apple's warranty. Plus I like the lightness and portability of it. And after getting immersed in iOS with my 4S and falling in love with the thought of having a large amount of Mac stuff in my house has led me in that direction. I also recently got married to a woman with a 9 year old daughter, and I've heard about the photo/video editing abilities of Macs, and while I hadn't gotten into that in the past, I'm not going to rule it out for a future endeavor for family events, recitals, etc.

Too bad I'm just one of "public sector" attorneys so I don't get the BIG bucks. Otherwise my house would already be decked out in everything Apple.

Thanks again!

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't let these people talk you into buying junk! Get a Mac any chance you get. A dell, Asus, and whatever is all junk! You will be very happy with a MacBook Air.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner