iMac 27" Screen Problems?

Have you experienced a problem with the screen on your iMac?

• Yes, I've had a problem with smudges showing up but they haven't been enough to worry about

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I've had a problem with smudges and have cleaned the inside of the glass myself

• Yes, I've had a problem with smudges and had Apple replace the screen

• Nope, no problems here. Still looks as beautiful as it did the day I bought it

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to buy my first Mac. After lots of looking (and yes, I'll admit to some drooling as well), I believe I've decided on the 27" iMac with the 3.4GHz i7 proc. However, after doing some reading of other forums, including Apple's own iMac forums, I see a lot of posts where people are experiencing a "smudge" like effect on their iMac screens. The problem appears to be caused by the cooling fan pulling dust into the system and the dust getting deposited on the internal LCD screen and "burning in" because of the internal heat of the system.

Having worked in IT as long as I have, I know what tends to happen when people report a problem like this. You start getting lots of "me too" type posts even if the problem is simply a real smudge on the outside of their screen. I also know that for the most part, people will only speak up when they have a problem. In my 24 years in the business I've never had someone call me just to say everything was working well and I didn't need to come fix anything. ;)

Having said all that, before I pull the trigger on a very expensive computer, I'd like to hear from the good people here at iMore. If you have an iMac, have you had a problem with the screen or has your system been working normally and without issue? Thanks!

Last edited:

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I just bought a 27" iMac at the end of October 2011 and haven't had any smudging issues unless I touched the screen and got finger prints on it. Oh, and one of my friends posted something hilarious on Facebook shortly before Christmas and I did a spit-take all over the screen (lol, I know, I know!!). I wiped it down with a moist towel and some Windex and have had no issues to report here.

Fact it, this is a BEAUTIFUL screen, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Obviously there will be situations where people have issues. Always happens when millions of products are made. But, your chances of having issues are extremely slim, so I think you have little to worry about.

All of that said, you might want to wait until April or so when they release the new iMacs. Rumor is they're going to be refreshing them soon with some great new features! I almost feel bad for not waiting, but I'm still glad I got one when I did. VERY happy thus far!

My only complaint about my iMac is that it doesn't have a full keyboard with numeric pad. I got a $50 dollar gift certificate from Best Buy when I picked up an iPad 2 for my Dad for Christmas, and so I'm going to spring for the full keyboard this weekend. I REALLY REALLY wish they had a full Bluetooth keyboard, but I really want the extra keys!

Trodecke

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

Not for sure if I can wait till the newest ones come out, although the rumors of an Apple TV type addition are very tempting. I've got the money and the OK from my wife to spend it so I need to strike while the conditions are favorable. ;)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a 27" iMac at the end of October 2011 and haven't had any smudging issues unless I touched the screen and got finger prints on it. Oh, and one of my friends posted something hilarious on Facebook shortly before Christmas and I did a spit-take all over the screen (lol, I know, I know!!). I wiped it down with a moist towel and some Windex and have had no issues to report here.

Um, Windex is NOT good for any type of screen. It was made for windows...the chemicals (including ammonia) will destroy the coating and eventually harm your monitor.

Ask the Editors: Clean your LCD without damaging it - CNET Reviews

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
@ Fausty, well, it wasn't "Windex". I just used that as a generic term. It was just a spray for cleaning computer monitors. Sorry for the confusion.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
LoL, well, I use a spray that is formulated for LCD screens, to remove fingerprints. I think it's made by Pledge, but don't have it right next to me at the moment. I've heard of people using Windex on their iMacs many times in the past who never reported any negative side effects, though like with anything in life, anything is possible.

I usually use a soft, lint free cloth, like microfiber, and water most of the time. Or the LCD spray. I'm not sure if it's the Windex that hurts the screen or the cloth people use. I think it may have more to do with the cloth, but I'm not going to start testing out any of my theories. When it doubt, water and a soft cloth at minimum. Stay away from paper towels because they can often scratch a surface, even minimally.

It's kind of funny though, as people can get super-anal about these kinds of things. I used Windex on one of my older laptops years ago and never had a problem with it eating away at the plastic screen or any of the coatings. Obviously that would differ depending on the elements used in the screen. I'd be surprised to see a quality screen react in a bad way to Windex though. Windex contains ammonia, which I believe Apple recommends against, probably because someone at Apple thinks Ammonia is bad for the environment or something, who knows. I've even seen people go so far as to recommend Distilled water... Yea, right... Regular water is fine as long as it's clean tap water. You just don't want to use a lot of it to the point where it could drip.

Worst case. Consult a professional.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2