MacBook Pro/iPhone wifi question

xandrex#IM

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if this is in the right place, but if it isn't, I'd love to know a better place to look.

Has anyone had any luck using their computer in place of a router to connect iPhone to an internet connection?

I'm currently outside the United States, so my iPhone is essentially in airplane mode and used only for iPod functionality and occasionally getting on a wifi network. However, in my host university's residence halls, you can't use a router as it breaks their TOS, making any apps that use an internet connection worthless on my iPhone.

I have heard of some people using their MacBooks to create an ad-hoc network they could access for devices that have wifi (like iPhones).

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this (I haven't found much helpful information on the internet) and if anyone with network knowledge knows if this would typically be detectable to university networks? I would rather not get in trouble, but I just want to be able to access apps in places besides the library and classrooms (where they're just a distraction! haha).