MacBook pro or air?

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am about to buy a MacBook. I don't know which to go with. I need help. Whichever one I get, it would be the base model. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 64gb wifi. I would use it for basic stuff like Internet and office type work. No high end graphics or anything like that. Might occasionally take it out of the house. Any likes dislikes that you guys have with either one ( one that you own and use). Also have kids. (is air fragile? Or will it be ok with kids) thanks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am about to buy a MacBook. I don't know which to go with. I need help. Whichever one I get, it would be the base model. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 64gb wifi. I would use it for basic stuff like Internet and office type work. No high end graphics or anything like that. Might occasionally take it out of the house. Any likes dislikes that you guys have with either one ( one that you own and use). Also have kids. (is air fragile? Or will it be ok with kids) thanks.

I have both... and use both. Obviously the Air is much more portable, but not "delicate" or "fragile" beyond normal care, in any way. It is not a rugged as the MacBook Pro, but with the SSD, there's no hard drive to damage by dropping it...

I have the 11" Air, at wish I had gone for the 13" only for the screen size... the 1440 x 900 would have made the Air almost perfect...

Here's a quick chart that lays out the spec differences... hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: fmflex

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any reason to have an optical drive? Isn't most Mac software downloadable like apps? Also Hank, if you could only have one, which one would you go with and why. Thanks.

Last edited:

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I have a MacBook Pro 13" (2011) with a 120GB SSD and love it. It does everything I need it to do. I got it for work, where I work, I work 5 days in an Office and the rest from home, so I wanted something portable. I would have gotten an MacBook Air (13") if they would have had Sandy bridge and i5 processors when I purchased my MacBook Pro, but they didn't, they only had the core2 duo which I didn't feel would be fast enough. The new MacBook Air is more then fast enough for what I do and is ultra portable.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason to have an optical drive? Isn't most Mac software downloadable like apps? Also Hank, if you could only have one, which one would you go with and why. Thanks.

That's a tough one. I would have said MBP a while back because of the power - core i7 quad core, 8gb RAM, 750GB hard drive... but after using the MBA recently, I really like it. If the MBA had the 13" screen, that would be the winner for me. More portable. Better battery life. The new MBAs are sweet little machines... and they max out under $1700... the MBPs are more expensive.

SurfinUSA

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally would go for the Pro (I know it's too late), but It seems like the Air would be a better fit for you. The main trade off is Size vs Power. I do love the backlit keyboard and now that is a feature of the new Air! I'll bet it's a great machine!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73