Converted

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So I officially converted to Mac the other day (immediately following my other post/question about it). I must say, I am extremely pleased with the results. It is a bit of a learning curve, as I have been using Windows since version 3.1. As far as hardware goes, I spent days debating MacBook vs Pro vs Air. I finally decided that for what I need it for, getting the Air was a bad idea since I really need an optical drive. The Pro seemed nice, but the extra $200 didn't seem worth the benefits, especially since they weren't necessary. Totally useless post I know, but dammit I felt like writing it.

Sidenote: anyone know of an OSX program that is comparable to virtualdubmod for Windows?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the club :)

I made the switch from PC to MacBook Pro almost a year ago. It took a bit to get comfortable here, but I made it. You will too.

Not sure what virtualdubmod is... so can't help there.

You could always load up BootCamp and run Windows on your MacBook Pro... or load a virtual machine program like Parallels... yeah, that just seems wrong... unless you need to.

Last edited:

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
virtualdubmod allows you to take two segmented avi files and join them together while intelligently finding the exact frame where the two files are the same and merging them at that point...essentially creating one avi file out of the two sources. Useful when trying to burn a DVD from two SVCD files. I already got Roxio Toast for converting AVI files to DVD, but having a single source file works out so much easier, which is where virtualdubmod came in.

I thought about Parallels, but I really don't want to have a reason to use Windows for anything...in fact I now have to teach my wife to use Adobe CS5, considering I have a complete Windows license I am no longer using. I'm waiting for my company to get CS5.5 licensing so I can get my discount LOL. Until then, trying to hold off on all my Photoshopping needs...or at least waiting until I get to work and using the software there.

Edit: Just discovered the wonderful beauty of the Terminal this morning. Office 2011 created the useless yet undeleteable Microsoft folder in the Documents folder, so the chflags command just became my best friend.

Last edited:

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Hank...ATV question. If you have Divx and Xvid codecs installed for quicktime on your Mac, will the ATV play the files, or does it only play the files it supports natively? My movie library is all AVI files, and I'd hate to not be able to watch any of them if I switch over to Apple TV.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey Hank...ATV question. If you have Divx and Xvid codecs installed for quicktime on your Mac, will the ATV play the files, or does it only play the files it supports natively? My movie library is all AVI files, and I'd hate to not be able to watch any of them if I switch over to Apple TV.

I have not installed any codecs or jailbreak on the ATV... I have been using Handbrake to convert my videos to MPEG-4 m4v format - the ATV native format.

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys have the new ATV or the old one? Do you think the 'no hard drive' thing was a good idea?

I miss the hard drive. Without the hard drive, I find myself watching the 'wheel' a lot, even when navigating iTunes content. Also, the ATV2 tends to forget what you were looking at last time.

I like netfix though, at least when it is streaming steadily.