Sell 2010 MBP for 2010 MBA?
When I bought my MBP, I used it quite a bit for gaming. I used to play World of Warcraft, and I would boot into Windows 7 for Star Trek Online. I may boot for STO in the future, but my WoW playing days are over.
I take this computer to work every day, travel with it, and use it for watching/converting videos, office documents, web browsing, e mail, and education mostly. I would like something a bit more portable, as the MBP is heavy.
Seeing as this computer is a year old, how much do you think I would get for it on eBay? I've been treating this laptop very well, and would include office 2008 and iLife 11.
Is it even worth it to switch to an MBA 13" at this point? The smaller computer would be much better for carrying around on a daily basis, but how much performance would I be sacrificing considering the extra money I would have to put in after selling the MBP? I would get the 13" 128gb model with 4gb ram. Looking at $1350 with education discount.
- 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM #2
Check eBay for similar MBPs for sale and base your decision, in part, on that.
The rumor is that the MacBook Air line will be refreshed soon - about the time OSX Lion is released... so maybe wait another 3-4 weeks and get a deal on last year's model - or new, beefier MBA from the new refresh.
- 06-25-2011, 10:47 AM #4
- 06-26-2011, 10:26 AM #6
Even though they have NVIDIA graphics now, it's still an integrated chip using system memory, not a dedicated video card with its own memory. The Intel HD 3000 and NVIDIA GeForce 320M benchmark pretty much just about the same, so you can't really say that one outperforms the other.
Also, word is that the new MBA is going to have Intel's new line of Sandy Bridge processors, meaning they're going to be much faster in addition to consuming less power than the current Core 2 Duo MBA. The processor upgrade alone should be a pretty good reason to wait.
Even if they don't up any other specs, although it'd be nice to see if they offer larger storage options or more than 4GB of RAM, the new model will definitely be a big improvement on performance. There's always hope for a backlit keyboard, ambient light sensor, HD Facetime camera, Thunderbolt, SDXC support, etc.
- 06-26-2011, 09:42 PM #8
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm looking for something small but decent either the 13" MBA or MBP for portability at college. Taking a 17" gaming laptop to class doesn't work too well. I'm just waiting for Apple to drop a concrete release date for Lion, which is apparently what they're waiting for before shipping any new hardware.
If you go for it, I'd definitely wait, as the upcoming MBA models with their processor upgrade will blow the current model out of the water, not to mention the likelihood of the smaller upgrades I mentioned. Since you mentioned education discount, you're either a student or teacher, which means summer is downtime anyway, so there's probably no need to rush. If you go for it now, you'll probably regret it in about a month when it gets its upgrades.
Myself, I'm waiting either way just to see exactly what Apple does change when they announce the new MBA. I'm either going for the same tier MBA as you (13" 128GB w/ 4GB RAM option) or the lower end 13" MBP with a SSD. It'll be a close call.
- 07-01-2011, 01:38 AM #10
I could never live without my MBP. What I do now is leave my MBP at work Mon- Fri and use my iPad at home. I carry the MBP home if I have some serious stuff to do. The 13" MBA is a very nice size but I agree, with the current core 2 duo it's old tech for current prices. The new model will bring alot more to the table but it will depend what you are planning to do with it? Apple products hold their value very well and if you are including Applecare what you can get for them skyrocket.
- 07-12-2011, 02:43 AM #11
- 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM #12iPhone Newbie
- 14 Posts
I feel like i'm in the minority of people that don't really feel like the MBP isn't as portable? I think the Air looks awesome, but the size difference isn't really that important to me. Anyone else feel the same?
Last edited by SurfinUSA; 08-09-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: oops
- 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM #13