2011 MBP or 2012 MBP

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Should I go ahead and get the 2011 MacBook Pro or wait for the 2012? I'm not in dire need of a new laptop, just want to see what Apple has to offer. I've read a few different places that basically say to wait and get the 2012 version due to the possibility of a new physical appearance. Does anyone know any other rumors about specs or physical characteristics that would make it advisable to wait?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not much to go on yet...it's still at least 6-8 months away, and Apple keeps this stuff pretty close to the vest. Heck, the new iPhone is expected in just 2-3 months and there's nothing concrete about it yet.

I'd say that if you need a laptop, buy now. If you can wait, then wait. You will always get more/cheaper/a better deal by waiting... as long as you don't need it now.

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's true. I guess I'll wait. What is the typical refresh cycle for MacBook Pros? And which one in your opinion is a better buy? I'm considering the low end 15". I have a 17" HP right now so going from 17" to 13" would be annoying. Plus the whole quad core option in the 15" model seems reasonably priced at 300 or so more than the 13".

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple tends to refresh all products annually... the iPhone is the biggest exception to their "standard" refresh practice... according to history, it was "due" in June, but it has yet to be officially announced.

That said, they tend to refresh the MacBook Pro in February-March each year.

As with most technology, the innovation is coming pretty quickly, so waiting is always better in terms of "bang for the buck". But that does little to help you if you need a new device. My most recent non-MBP laptop was a 17" HP. When I moved to the MacBook Pro, I went with the 15" model. I recently purchased a new 2011 version (handed the old one down to a family member). My only regret was not opting for the hi-res screen. The 1440 x 900 is good enough, but I wish I had opted for the 1680 x 1050. However, those models are hard to find in the stores, and come packaged with other beefed up specs that I didn't specifically want (at prices that I didn't want to pay)... You can get the hi-res screen without the other "bumps", but only via special order from Apple, so I went with the standard 1440 x 900 resolution.

The 13" MBP with it's 1280 x 800 resolution just seems too small for everyday use, IMHO.

And the quad core i7 processor is the only way to go...

Here's a good resource for what and when to buy, based on Apple's "expected" device refresh schedule:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Reactions: wchsxc

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
What makes you regret the standard screen? Are the pixels not sharp enough or somethin? And thanks for the link!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What makes you regret the standard screen? Are the pixels not sharp enough or somethin? And thanks for the link!

I don't regret the lower res screen... but sometimes it would be nice to see more on the screen.

I didn't mean to imply this was in any way inadequate or problematic... it is very usable, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Sorry if my comments were confusing in that regard.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't regret the lower res screen... but sometimes it would be nice to see more on the screen.

I didn't mean to imply this was in any way inadequate or problematic... it is very usable, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Sorry if my comments were confusing in that regard.

How much extra is it for high res?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought a 15" just 2 weeks ago. Wasnt waiting until Feb for a refresh. I wanted one now

Congrats...

I wasn't saying to wait... simply stating fact - waiting for the next version will always get you more processing power and features... but if you need/want it now, go for it - no reason not to...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Congrats...

I wasn't saying to wait... simply stating fact - waiting for the next version will always get you more processing power and features... but if you need/want it now, go for it - no reason not to...

Oh I know you werent saying to wait. The problem is people will wait months for a updated product. Then its soon to be dated again. I say just get the best possible you can get now. My HP was taking a crap so my only choice was MBP. I love it!! No regrets

tombubi

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If you dont need it right now, then wait. However, no one can guaranteed the new one will be a redesign one coz it is just a speculation.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Macrumors has a whole guide based on Apple's product cycles (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)- suggestions on when to buy and not but which products, rumors and other news about each one, etc.

Personally if you want to wait, go ahead and wait, if you don't like the new design, you can probably snag one of the current models at a discount when they get replaced.

The MBP does have a pretty solid line up right now though. Even the 13" with the 2.3 i5 has a lot of power, although you have to go for the 15" or 17" to get a dedicated graphics option. The lower resolutions on the 13" (1280x800) and 15" (1440x900 standard, but upgradable to a more respectable 1680x1050) are something to consider, depending on how much you like on your screen. Also, it can be hard to connect more than one USB device at a time seeing as the USB ports are so close together, depending on how small the connector is. Rumor has it that the MBP is going to take some design inspiration from the MacBook Air in its next iteration, which could solve the USB problem (the MBA has one port on each side). It could also mean a slight incline from the palmrest area towards the screen as seen in the MBA.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2