2011 MBP or 2012 MBP
Should I go ahead and get the 2011 MacBook Pro or wait for the 2012? I'm not in dire need of a new laptop, just want to see what Apple has to offer. I've read a few different places that basically say to wait and get the 2012 version due to the possibility of a new physical appearance. Does anyone know any other rumors about specs or physical characteristics that would make it advisable to wait?
- 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM #2
Not much to go on yet...it's still at least 6-8 months away, and Apple keeps this stuff pretty close to the vest. Heck, the new iPhone is expected in just 2-3 months and there's nothing concrete about it yet.
I'd say that if you need a laptop, buy now. If you can wait, then wait. You will always get more/cheaper/a better deal by waiting... as long as you don't need it now.
That's true. I guess I'll wait. What is the typical refresh cycle for MacBook Pros? And which one in your opinion is a better buy? I'm considering the low end 15". I have a 17" HP right now so going from 17" to 13" would be annoying. Plus the whole quad core option in the 15" model seems reasonably priced at 300 or so more than the 13".
- 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM #4
Apple tends to refresh all products annually... the iPhone is the biggest exception to their "standard" refresh practice... according to history, it was "due" in June, but it has yet to be officially announced.
That said, they tend to refresh the MacBook Pro in February-March each year.
As with most technology, the innovation is coming pretty quickly, so waiting is always better in terms of "bang for the buck". But that does little to help you if you need a new device. My most recent non-MBP laptop was a 17" HP. When I moved to the MacBook Pro, I went with the 15" model. I recently purchased a new 2011 version (handed the old one down to a family member). My only regret was not opting for the hi-res screen. The 1440 x 900 is good enough, but I wish I had opted for the 1680 x 1050. However, those models are hard to find in the stores, and come packaged with other beefed up specs that I didn't specifically want (at prices that I didn't want to pay)... You can get the hi-res screen without the other "bumps", but only via special order from Apple, so I went with the standard 1440 x 900 resolution.
The 13" MBP with it's 1280 x 800 resolution just seems too small for everyday use, IMHO.
And the quad core i7 processor is the only way to go...
Here's a good resource for what and when to buy, based on Apple's "expected" device refresh schedule:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
- 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM #6
- 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM #7
- 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM #8
- 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM #9
- 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM #10
- 06-24-2011, 02:14 AM #11
- 06-25-2011, 08:41 PM #12
Macrumors has a whole guide based on Apple's product cycles (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)- suggestions on when to buy and not but which products, rumors and other news about each one, etc.
Personally if you want to wait, go ahead and wait, if you don't like the new design, you can probably snag one of the current models at a discount when they get replaced.
The MBP does have a pretty solid line up right now though. Even the 13" with the 2.3 i5 has a lot of power, although you have to go for the 15" or 17" to get a dedicated graphics option. The lower resolutions on the 13" (1280x800) and 15" (1440x900 standard, but upgradable to a more respectable 1680x1050) are something to consider, depending on how much you like on your screen. Also, it can be hard to connect more than one USB device at a time seeing as the USB ports are so close together, depending on how small the connector is. Rumor has it that the MBP is going to take some design inspiration from the MacBook Air in its next iteration, which could solve the USB problem (the MBA has one port on each side). It could also mean a slight incline from the palmrest area towards the screen as seen in the MBA.