Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default iOS 6 iPad 1

Ok so I have an iPad 1st gen and it is the best idevice I have ever had... So why would apple drop iOS 6 on iPad.... I thought maybe cause they arent selling it anymore. But so many people have it. Should I get a new one??

Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The iPad1 will not support iOS6.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2peuknqfj0...AUTUMN2012.pdf has a complete picture of what will be compatible with what.

If you want the iOS6 features on a pad, you'll need to get an iPad2 or better.
    Last edited by kch50428; 08-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

I know they don't have iOS 6 for iPad first gen but why would they drop it??

Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantiphone5 View Post
    I know they don't have iOS 6 for iPad first gen but why would they drop it??
    The hardware does not meet the needs of the OS.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would say the lack of RAM being the main cause
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Lack or ram I would say and with the slower processor it might struggle as well.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy71 View Post
    Lack or ram I would say and with the slower processor it might struggle as well.
    I has the same processor as the iPhone 4 with the A4 chip
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    I has the same processor as the iPhone 4 with the A4 chip
    Well lack of ram then.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

I read somewhere that it has more ram then iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3GS is getting ios 6
    Thanked by:
    kdfisch (12-25-2012)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.11

Theoretically iPad 1 should be able to run iOS6 because it has the A4 chip as the iPhone 4 and full 1GHZ and not underclocked like the 4. It has the same amount of RAM as the 3GS, 256MB. Yet the 3GS is iOS 6 ready and the iPad 1 is not. It makes no sense. I mean they can strip it a little bit and make it work just like they are doing with the 3GS and the 4. I have an iPad 1 32GB and i feel that it has done the job and is well enough to handle one more new iOS upgrade before officially calling it quits. Who knows, maybe Apple will see that the OG iPad has a chance for one last Hurrah.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The iPad 1 barely has enough RAM to run LinkedIn without crashing; I think that while the hardware may technically work, Apple is firewalling older devices to ensure users receive the best possible experience.

They don't want people talking about OS6 the way people view $99.00 Android devices trying to run Ice Cream Sandwich. It's just a sub-par experience.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by renatoady View Post
    The iPad 1 barely has enough RAM to run LinkedIn without crashing; I think that while the hardware may technically work, Apple is firewalling older devices to ensure users receive the best possible experience.

They don't want people talking about OS6 the way people view $99.00 Android devices trying to run Ice Cream Sandwich. It's just a sub-par experience.
    I agree with this 100 percent. It is the price we pay as consumers to know that the devices that we own run well. If you want the newest operating system, then you are going to have to upgrade your hardware. Me personally, I don't mind upgrading my hardware every two years to stay current. But if for some reason I can't, I know that I will be stuck on the current operating system, but my device will continue to run smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iOS 6 iPad 1

I have a 1st gen iPad and wanted to delete a previous email address that comes up as an option in auto fill. the person is no longer in my contacts. I had seen a link on how to fix this but when I registered to become an imore user I could no longer find the link. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
    iMore Pro

Default iOS 6 iPad 1

Quote Originally Posted by kdfisch View Post
    I have a 1st gen iPad and wanted to delete a previous email address that comes up as an option in auto fill. the person is no longer in my contacts. I had seen a link on how to fix this but when I registered to become an imore user I could no longer find the link. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
    Create a new mail message.

Start typing in the address of the person. When it shows up in the selection list, you can expand it with the blue arrow on the right and select Delete From Recent
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The 3GS could support iOS 6 because it has a much lower screen resolution than the iPad 1st gen. A 430*320p display is going to use less RAM than a 1024*768p display.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The bottom line is with a measly 256MB RAM, it's just not going to cut it. Apple looks at experience first. If may/may in theory, be able to run iOS 6, but if the experience sucks, they will not allow it.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,099 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    The bottom line is with a measly 256MB RAM, it's just not going to cut it. Apple looks at experience first. If may/may in theory, be able to run iOS 6, but if the experience sucks, they will not allow it.
    That makes the most sense, thanks!
    Apple iPhone 4, 32GB, Black, AT&T
    Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation, 64GB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,516 Global Posts

iOS 5 was dead slow on my iPad that I traded it in to get a Mini, I can't imagine with 6 on it.